+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Economy/Jobs in Calgary with the falling oil price

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Hi Friends,
With the significant lower oil price (and with the predictions that the price may still go lower) , would you think the house prices will drop ? I heard many speculations that the it houses will be cheaper as the economy slows down. Also there will be less new jobs and even staff reductions.
What would you think ? Is it the time to move out of Alberta ? :)

MMNSAM

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2014
Nomination.....
10-09-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-10-2014
Med's Done....
6-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 February 2015
VISA ISSUED...
:)
LANDED..........
:)
AlexRox said:
Hi Friends,
With the significant lower oil price (and with the predictions that the price may still go lower) , would you think the house prices will drop ? I heard many speculations that the it houses will be cheaper as the economy slows down. Also there will be less new jobs and even staff reductions.

I have a similar query...is it advisable for new immigrants to land in Calgary looking at the lowering Oil Prices and treat to cutting down jobs?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dont worry falling oil prices will be offset by rising oil prices in the next few months. Oil is not running out anytime soon. So relax, take it easy enjoy life and stop all frustrations.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
AlexRox said:
With the significant lower oil price (and with the predictions that the price may still go lower) , would you think the house prices will drop ? I heard many speculations that the it houses will be cheaper as the economy slows down.
Houses will keep rising, I think they just reported 7% increase from last year and it is likely to keep going up.

AlexRox said:
Also there will be less new jobs and even staff reductions.
New projects are all over the place. The economy isn't slowing down at all.

AlexRox said:
No.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Jalex23 said:
Houses will keep rising, I think they just reported 7% increase from last year and it is likely to keep going up.

New projects are all over the place. The economy isn't slowing down at all.

No.
It seems economy will slow down if the oil price remains at this level. While some companies have silently started laying off, many companies have stopped/reduced hiring to cut cost.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/12/01/albertas_booming_economy_can_withstand_dipping_oil_prices.html

those house prices increase reflects the history (don't forget the the very high oil price at $105 in June) may not reflect the future. If the economy slows down house prices may fall. Read the latest comments from Bank of Canada here.
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/12/03/bank-of-canada-more-hawkish-on-economy-though-oil-price-plunge-household-debt-pose-risks/

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see your point - but why would one move based on these reports unless it impacts one personally (layoff/termination etc)?

It may have an effect on net influx as active hiring decreases, leading to a demand/supply situation, but I would hardly start packing because of a survey on cbc ;)

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
fdk511 said:
I see your point - but why would one move based on these reports unless it impacts one personally (layoff/termination etc)?

It may have an effect on net influx as active hiring decreases, leading to a demand/supply situation, but I would hardly start packing because of a survey on cbc ;)
Yes, We should not give a lot of credit to a CBC survey. However I just mentioned those to quote the Bank of Canada.
Anyway did you read the comments of the Alberta premier last week ? Those comments will explain why you would have to consider beyond your personal situation such as layoff/termination.

let me quote him. you may read the full text online.

"has created conditions no Albertan can ignore.

We will see spending cuts. It will not be pretty. If oil prices stay low then billions will be lost to the provincial public purse.

It will not be easy on Albertans. Tough choices will have to be made and we will make them and they will be felt across the province'

In overall my point was if the oil prices remains low for a longer period, Alberta would not be the province of choice. However I wish the oil price will go up soon, which will be good for all of us, but my personal feeling is it will take some time.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand what you are saying, but this impact may be more on people considering moving to Alberta versus those already here and gainfully employed.

Unless items like tax credits, health services, snow removal etc start to become detrimental, there is little motivation to consider moving unless one gets a better alternative elsewhere. Maybe folks in public sector may be affected as well is spending cuts kick in.

Again, you are asking for opinions and I have shared mine :)

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
fdk511 said:
I understand what you are saying, but this impact may be more on people considering moving to Alberta versus those already here and gainfully employed.

Unless items like tax credits, health services, snow removal etc start to become detrimental, there is little motivation to consider moving unless one gets a better alternative elsewhere. Maybe folks in public sector may be affected as well is spending cuts kick in.

Again, you are asking for opinions and I have shared mine :)
Thanks a lot for your opinion :)