+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA not required for spouse?

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Whoa.... this is something new for me. Quite different from what I have been gathering from this forum regarding ECA for spouse. Let me quote CIC:

You will need to get an ECA for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if:

a. you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Express Entry
  • you are a principal applicant, and
  • you got your education outside Canada,
or

b. you are an Express Entry candidate (or their spouse or common-law partner coming with them to Canada) being considered for the Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Canadian Experience Class, and you want points for your foreign education.

To be eligible under a) or to get points under b) you must include ECA results as part of your Express Entry profile.
Apparently, from above statement, if my spouse is accompanying me on FSWP through EE, and I am the PA, then we don't need for her to have ECA. Please correct me if this isn't a fair conclusion from the text quoted above.

JohnnyCanuck

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
hey

no it's required for points

"Educational credentials

(3) In order for a foreign national to be assigned points under subsection (1) for the educational credentials of their accompanying spouse or common-law partner,

(a) the educational credentials of that spouse or common-law partner must be Canadian educational credentials; or
(b) that spouse or common-law partner must have a valid education credential equivalency assessment in respect of their foreign educational credentials issued by an institution designated under subsection 75(4) of the Regulations."

from canada gazette ministerial instructions for express entry dec 1

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
so it means yes? both must have the ECA?

mdRaees

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If spouse is accompanying you will loose some marks in CRS and to cover that mark you have to get ECA done and IELTS for your spouse. If she is not accompaying than ECA not required

aravindkumarh

Jan 3, 2015
As far as i Know Spouse's education with ECA + Spouse's IELTS marks + Spouse's canadian work experience can give an additional 40 points maximum.

Without ECA and IELTS, you will get Zero points here

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
ElmTree said:
Whoa.... this is something new for me. Quite different from what I have been gathering from this forum regarding ECA for spouse. Let me quote CIC:

Apparently, from above statement, if my spouse is accompanying me on FSWP through EE, and I am the PA, then we don't need for her to have ECA. Please correct me if this isn't a fair conclusion from the text quoted above.
You are correct. Spouse's ECA is not mandatory. It is only required if you want to claim points for your spouse's non-canadian education.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
namaste said:
You are correct. Spouse's ECA is not mandatory. It is only required if you want to claim points for your spouse's non-canadian education.
Well, namaste, after my namaste to you :), can you explain why in point (b) CIC clearly mentions getting ECA for spouse if applicant wants to claim points for spouse' education but in point (a), it does not mention spouse at all?

To me it seems like they are saying that if you are a FSWP applicant, you can claim points for spouse' education without getting her/his ECA done. However, if you're a Skilled Trade or CEC applicant, then you cannot claim points for spouse' education with ECA.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
JohnnyCanuck said:
hey

no it's required for points

"Educational credentials

(3) In order for a foreign national to be assigned points under subsection (1) for the educational credentials of their accompanying spouse or common-law partner,

(a) the educational credentials of that spouse or common-law partner must be Canadian educational credentials; or
(b) that spouse or common-law partner must have a valid education credential equivalency assessment in respect of their foreign educational credentials issued by an institution designated under subsection 75(4) of the Regulations."

from canada gazette ministerial instructions for express entry dec 1
Hi JohnnyCanuck. Thanks for that. Can you please tell me these are ministerial instructions for which category through EE? i.e. FSWP or FSTP or CEC, since they all have to go through EE but may have different requirements.

mark adams

May 15, 2014
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

Who needs an ECA?

If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA.

You will need to get an ECA for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if:
a.you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Express Entry
•you are a principal applicant, and
•you got your education outside Canada, or

b.you are an Express Entry candidate (or their spouse or common-law partner coming with them to Canada) being considered for the Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Canadian Experience Class, and you want points for your foreign education.

[size=10pt][GUYS FROM THE ABOVE STATEMENT mentioned on the CIC website. It is very clear that for FSWP you do not need to get your spouse ECA.
I am not for FSWT or CANADIAN EXPERIENCE CLASS. I am for FSWP so I should NOT be worried about it. No use of getting it done for spouse because it is not mentioned that you get some additional points unless you are FSWT or Canadian Experience Class applicants.][/
[/size]color]

reilley

Jun 22, 2015
b.you are an Express Entry candidate (or their spouse or common-law partner coming with them to Canada) being considered for the Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Canadian Experience Class, and you want points for your foreign education.
Still a little confused. I am under Canadian Experience Class in EE, and I am the principle applicant, is it mandatory for my spouse to get ECA?

I do not want to claim the points for my spouse's education with ECA.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reilley said:
Still a little confused. I am under Canadian Experience Class in EE, and I am the principle applicant, is it mandatory for my spouse to get ECA?

I do not want to claim the points for my spouse's education with ECA.
Not mandatory. Only if you need those points.

tushard8

Nov 11, 2015
Friends,

I am planning to create EE profile and I am in process of getting my ECA done & IELTS. I am eligible for FSWP. Can somebody with recent experience please help with below information:
- Do I need to get my wife ECA done to claim more points ?
- Does it really makes a difference if my wife ECA is done for FSWP ?

I appreciate any experience or comments in this regard !!

Thanks

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
tushard8 said:
Friends,

I am planning to create EE profile and I am in process of getting my ECA done & IELTS. I am eligible for FSWP. Can somebody with recent experience please help with below information:
- Do I need to get my wife ECA done to claim more points ?
Yes

- Does it really makes a difference if my wife ECA is done for FSWP ?
Yes

I appreciate any experience or comments in this regard !!

Thanks