+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA Necessary/Helpful?

Yakisoba_S

Feb 11, 2014
Hi all,

I posted a few times last year when my lawyer's mistakes resulted in a very messed-up PR app (under the former system). I'm happy to say I was able to resolve my work issue by getting a NAFTA visa, which was renewed in early January. Having got everything else in proper order, I applied for EE in early May and am now in the job bank meeting both CEC and FSWP criteria.

My current total score is 385, which isn't dire but also not likely to get me into any upcoming ITA rounds. My school has already started the LMIA process for me, and we'll complete the application paperwork within the next few weeks. If it's successful, problem solved. However, I'm also aware that the vast majority of LMIA apps get rejected, so in the interim, I'm looking for ways to bump up my score. I've already got a IELTS 9 and can't get any points in the age category (more's the pity), so now I'm looking at an ECA. Right now my education score is 136, as I've got 2 Canadian post-grad degrees (my HS and undergrad were done in the US). Do I need/is it worth it to have an ECA done for my US degrees? My understanding is that ECAs are only necessary for the FSWP, and since I also qualify in the CEC stream, it's just another $200+ down the drain for minimal return. I'm not sure how many points, if any, I'd gain from an ECA. On the other hand, my IELTS expires in December, and I really don't want to pay another $300 to retake the test. I guess if I'm going to shell out more money at this point, it seems like it makes most sense to spend it on something that might actually boost my EE profile.

Any advice, or anybody else in the same boat?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I am aware, you only get points for your highest level of education, so assuming you've been given the points for your Canadian post grads, adding in ECA's for lower level degrees won't get you anything extra I'm afraid.