+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for Pakistani Bachelor's Degree

Husnain-Wahla

Jun 7, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I'm a Software Engineer from Pakistan who's going to Vancouver for 18 months for an internship. I'm in the pool for IEC - Young Professional visa, waiting for my ITA right now. I graduated in July 2017 from NUST, worked with a Pakistani company for 10 months and now I'm working for my Candian employer remotely until I get my visa. They have offered me a contract to work remotely that will last until 14 Nov 2018. I'll get a closed work permit for 18 months with them.

Now that I've explained my situation, I'll get to the question...

Once I've been in Canada for a year, I'll apply for Express Entry (CEC). I would like to know:

1. Should I get ECA for my Pakistani credentials while I'm still in Pakistan (I think I'll be in Pakistan until 14 Nov 2018) or wait until I've been in Canada for close to a year?

2. Which ECA agency should I choose? Has anyone from NUST(or any other Pakistani university) got equivalence for their Bachelor's degree? How did the equivalence go?

3. Any other suggestions regarding the ECA process for the agency that you chose?

4. Considering I'm in the pool for EE with just 4/5 months left on my IEC visa, will that be sufficient time to get my PR?

5. Can I extend my IEC visa (closed work permit)?

mkhan60

Jul 25, 2018
1. Yes you can ECA is valid for 5 years.
2. No idea about that.
3. No idea about that.
4. You will get implied status when your visa is expired, provided that you applied for PR in time.
5. You will get a visa of 1 year you can extend it to 18months means 6 more months. During that apply for PR or LMIA. With LMIA maybe you can get an open work permit. For another IEC you need to come back to Pakistan apply for another opportunity in canada through AIESEC and you'll again get 1yr then 6more months.

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi,
Can anybody elaborate if Pakistani engineering degrees (mechanical in particular) are considered as sufficient to enter professional practice in Canada?

Thanks