+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for Merchant Navy/12th

Shweta_Desai

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
Hello forum.

Thank you all for the aid so far ! I'm primary applicant for myself and my husband. I have a Masters degree and my husband has HSC , 12th grade in India and post that he did Merchant Navy, certification issued by Govt. of India.

I have written to WES multiple times to enquire what category i need to submit his ECA in, but always same reply of use the free tool. I have read in this forum that i will get only 2 points for HSC & WES doesn't evaluate skills/certifications like this.

Please help me:
1. do i need to get ECA done for Merchant Navy certificate ? If so , in what category i need to apply?

2. If not, then does WES do 12th grade ECA as well ?

3. Can i proceed with our EE profile without doing an ECA for my husband ?

Awaiting your feedback..
Regards,
Shweta.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello forum.

Thank you all for the aid so far ! I'm primary applicant for myself and my husband. I have a Masters degree and my husband has HSC , 12th grade in India and post that he did Merchant Navy, certification issued by Govt. of India.

I have written to WES multiple times to enquire what category i need to submit his ECA in, but always same reply of use the free tool. I have read in this forum that i will get only 2 points for HSC & WES doesn't evaluate skills/certifications like this.

Please help me:
1. do i need to get ECA done for Merchant Navy certificate ? If so , in what category i need to apply?

Awaiting your feedback..
Regards,
Shweta.
If you don't want to claim points for spouse's education then no need to get ECA done. It's mandatory only if claiming points.

Shweta_Desai

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
thank you very much for the quick reply.. I am fearful if not claiming any points will harm his job applications ? He is having many years of work ex..
Also its not that I don't want to claim.. its just that I'm not sure if I should pay 10K Rs to WES for evaluation of 12th grade and then they say we don't even do that... can you help me if they do ECA for 12 th ?

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
thank you very much for the quick reply.. I am fearful if not claiming any points will harm his job applications ? He is having many years of work ex..
Also its not that I don't want to claim.. its just that I'm not sure if I should pay 10K Rs to WES for evaluation of 12th grade and then they say we don't even do that... can you help me if they do ECA for 12 th ?
It has no bearing on job applications, he will get a PR card which will be same as you, no difference. Don't overthink.

Shweta_Desai

Star Member
Jun 22, 2018
Its great that we got the ITA without doing so. I have a follow on query, i just mentioned this in the education part and his current job in work exp.
Initially on the CIC website i read it is not required to obtain certificate of work exp for your dependents.

But due to my declaration it is asking for proof for both. If i am not going to get any points due to dependent education and work exp, shall i remove it from those places and just write in 'Personal history' ?

Regards,
Shweta.

Sanasi

Aug 9, 2019
Hello Forum, Hi Shweta..

Me and my husband are facing the same issue.
He is a first mate (FG) license holder and i am an MA. But he is the primary applicant because my profession is not listed.

Although my husband holds a CoC for chief mate, we are not getting the transcript from IGNOU because one assignment was remaining.
We came to know this now after 8-9 years because since the institute cleared all his exams and he now has Mates CoC, nobody thought this would be the case. So IGNOU is not giving the BSc transcript, and we do not know whether MMD will give a transcript and whether it will be accepted.

Need help regarding how to go about this.

Thanks a lot :)
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com

Gisy

Dec 16, 2019
Hello Forum, Hi Shweta..

Me and my husband are facing the same issue.
He is a first mate (FG) license holder and i am an MA. But he is the primary applicant because my profession is not listed.

Although my husband holds a CoC for chief mate, we are not getting the transcript from IGNOU because one assignment was remaining.
We came to know this now after 8-9 years because since the institute cleared all his exams and he now has Mates CoC, nobody thought this would be the case. So IGNOU is not giving the BSc transcript, and we do not know whether MMD will give a transcript and whether it will be accepted.

Need help regarding how to go about this.

Thanks a lot :)
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com
HI,
So glad I found this forum. My husband also has his CoC for chief mate but I'm applying as the primary applicant as im getting more points for education although he does have 14 yrs experience. Also he can't get a BSc certificate until he completes his Masters.He did his course from BITS, Pilani. What is the progress of your case? We have forwarded his diploma in Nautical science to WES for evaluation. Anxiously awaiting the results. Almost 3 months are done. Have you'll done a similar thing? Would be great if you could share. Thanks.

Sanasi

Aug 9, 2019
HI,
So glad I found this forum. My husband also has his CoC for chief mate but I'm applying as the primary applicant as im getting more points for education although he does have 14 yrs experience. Also he can't get a BSc certificate until he completes his Masters.He did his course from BITS, Pilani. What is the progress of your case? We have forwarded his diploma in Nautical science to WES for evaluation. Anxiously awaiting the results. Almost 3 months are done. Have you'll done a similar thing? Would be great if you could share. Thanks.

Hi!
Yes same with us, I am applying as the primary applicant now because of the issue with husband's BSc.
Since I am the promary applicant, we have not sent his documents, only mine.
We await the results by Jan first week.
If it is 3 months waiting for you, maybe you can write to WES with your reference number asking the status, since they give you a date when the results will be out.
Ours is 31st Dec.
In the mean time I gave my IELTS exam.
Wish us luck, and we too wish you all the best wishes for your dreams to come true!
Regards,
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com

Gisy

Dec 16, 2019
Hi!
Yes same with us, I am applying as the primary applicant now because of the issue with husband's BSc.
Since I am the promary applicant, we have not sent his documents, only mine.
We await the results by Jan first week.
If it is 3 months waiting for you, maybe you can write to WES with your reference number asking the status, since they give you a date when the results will be out.
Ours is 31st Dec.
In the mean time I gave my IELTS exam.
Wish us luck, and we too wish you all the best wishes for your dreams to come true!
Regards,
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com
HI, Thanks for replying. It's very frustrating that even the agents don't know what to do about seafarers cases and outrightly rejected ours due to lack of knowledge. Anyways, I will write to WES if there is no progress in a few days. I have received my ECA, just awaiting to see what my husband's ECA turns out to be. Will post here once it's out. In the meantime, all the very best with your IELTS. Hope you nail it.
Also, is it OK with you if I email you incase I need to reach out for any assistance??

Sanasi

Aug 9, 2019
Hello forum.

Please help me:

Awaiting your feedback..
Regards,
Shweta.

Hi Shweta,

I do not know whether I am replying in time, but here is what I have gathered:
ECA is essential for the primary applicant. If the Merchant navy officer has his graduation degree, and you can arrange for transcripts, then applying for ECA for his education also makes sense. Else only for primary applicant it is important.
The category (degree-wise/document-by-document) is decided automatically by WES, we don't need to bother about that.
If you are the primary applicant, and if you have your ECA and IELTS score, you can proceed with EE profile without husband's ECA, that's what I am doing too.

Hope this helps,
wishing you luck, wish me too! :)
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com

Sanasi

Aug 9, 2019
HI, Thanks for replying. It's very frustrating that even the agents don't know what to do about seafarers cases and outrightly rejected ours due to lack of knowledge. Anyways, I will write to WES if there is no progress in a few days. I have received my ECA, just awaiting to see what my husband's ECA turns out to be. Will post here once it's out. In the meantime, all the very best with your IELTS. Hope you nail it.
Also, is it OK with you if I email you incase I need to reach out for any assistance??
Hi,
Please do mail me and we can discuss in detail. I would like to know about how the ECA looks and what to do with it once you receive it.
Thanks,
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com

Gisy

Dec 16, 2019
Hi,
Please do mail me and we can discuss in detail. I would like to know about how the ECA looks and what to do with it once you receive it.
Thanks,
Sanasi.
sanasihalbe@gmail.com
Hi,
The ECA is just a one-page document stating the equivalency of your degree at par with the Canadian level. My Bachelor's is considered as a 3 year Canadian degree but sadly my 2 yr POST GRAD Dip is considered as a 1 year Canadian equivalency, forget about expecting a Master's. So I can claim for "two or more degrees, diplomas or certificate" category. I'm still awaiting my husband's ECA so as of now I'm not doing going to make the Express Entry profile.

Apr 15, 2020
Dear sansi and Shweta
I am Sushant
I have UK class 4 CoC EOOW III/1
I am from rating background so I don’t have any graduation or Bachelors degree.
Total sea service of 16 years
My elder brother has PR
Do I have any chance of. Success for PR
Any guidance help
I am married but wife is BA arts from Marathi medium poor in English
My what’s app 91 88five03192four2

Amandeep Kor

Oct 5, 2015
Cambridge
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
i have a question that i want to claim point for my husband's education, but he has done only 12th no study after that, do i need to do ECA for that, or there is npo need to do ECA for 12th pass candiadate.