+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for Bachelor's and/or Master's

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Hi all,

I've read through several threads here, but can't seem to find a consensus on this. Apologies in advance if this is repetitive.

I have dual bachelor's degrees (4 years) and a master's degree (2 years). All my degrees are from U.S. universities. Based on the information available on CIC, I requested an ECA from Univ. of Toronto (Feb 10) for my master's degree since that's my highest degree.

Now after reading a bunch of threads on here, I'm a bit confused. Several members have mentioned on older threads that ALL credentials need to be evaluated. Could folks please offer more clarity? It's a bit strange that CIC mentions, "In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education" on their website but rejects apps based on missing EAC for other degrees?

My in-progress ECA seems to be taking a while, and adding two more ECAs could prolong the whole process. So I'm wondering if I can skip it if it's not mandatory?

Appreciate the help.

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all,

I've read through several threads here, but can't seem to find a consensus on this. Apologies in advance if this is repetitive.

I have dual bachelor's degrees (4 years) and a master's degree (2 years). All my degrees are from U.S. universities. Based on the information available on CIC, I requested an ECA from Univ. of Toronto (Feb 10) for my master's degree since that's my highest degree.

Now after reading a bunch of threads on here, I'm a bit confused. Several members have mentioned on older threads that ALL credentials need to be evaluated. Could folks please offer more clarity? It's a bit strange that CIC mentions, "In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education" on their website but rejects apps based on missing EAC for other degrees?

My in-progress ECA seems to be taking a while, and adding two more ECAs could prolong the whole process. So I'm wondering if I can skip it if it's not mandatory?

Appreciate the help.
For EE application, you just need ECA for the highest degree you claim points for.

As for the comment of "all credentials need to be evaluated," there are different factors. For WES, if your Master's degree is from certain countries, they will ask you to submit your undergrad transcripts/documents together. For other organizations, check their sites for instructions.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
For EE application, you just need ECA for the highest degree you claim points for.

As for the comment of "all credentials need to be evaluated," there are different factors. For WES, if your Master's degree is from certain countries, they will ask you to submit your undergrad transcripts/documents together. For other organizations, check their sites for instructions.
Thank you for confirming.

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Hi all,

Appreciate the help.
Hi, it might differ from country to country, so my answer below isn't country specific.

I believe for those who have a master degree on the same major of a bachelor degree, the highest degree is rather enough for evaluation. Ie. in my case, I have both degrees in computer engineering so I evaluated the highest degree and I already passed eligibility.
Now, imagine your bachelor is in engineering but your master is MBA, does it make sense that you evaluate your master's degree only but choose an engineering NOC?

Please note that the above is an individual analysis and has no clear reference from cic.