+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for 4 years of college education without a degree certificate? HELP ME..

kemperguitar

Feb 24, 2016
Hello guys,

I have attended a university in USA for about four years (Bachelor's) but eventually I haven't finished my degree and moved to Canada.

I want to put "Three or more years at University" as my highest education level. This is certainly better than choosing "High School Diploma" as my highest level of education. Then I will get only 5 points out of 25 for my education.

Can I get ECA for an unfinished degree? I will provide only a transcript from four years of attendance. No degree certificate.
Can this be useful for getting more points for Express Entry profile?

By the way, I'm still young. I'm 23. If I want, I can transfer those USA college credits to a Canadian university.
However, it looks like attending a college for another year isn't a solution for immigration...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kemperguitar said:
Hello guys,

I have attended a university in USA for about four years (Bachelor's) but eventually I haven't finished my degree and moved to Canada.

I want to put "Three or more years at University" as my highest education level. This is certainly better than choosing "High School Diploma" as my highest level of education. Then I will get only 5 points out of 25 for my education.

Can I get ECA for an unfinished degree? I will provide only a transcript from four years of attendance. No degree certificate.
Is this be useful for getting more points for Express Entry profile?

By the way, I'm still young. I'm 23. If I want, I can transfer those USA college credits to a Canadian university.
However, it looks like attending a college for another year isn't a solution for immigration...
1. No, an incomplete degree will not be assessed.

kemperguitar

Feb 24, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. No, an incomplete degree will not be assessed.
Thanks for your response,

But the education background section on Express Entry profile gives you an option to choose "Bachelor OR 4 years at a university, vocational school."
If they will not assess four years of attendance, what does that mean?
Can I just choose this option without ECA???

I've already sent my high school diploma for ECA.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kemperguitar said:
Thanks for your response,

But the education background section on Express Entry profile gives you an option to choose "Bachelor OR 4 years at a university, vocational school."
If they will not assess four years of attendance, what does that mean?
Can I just choose this option without ECA???

I've already sent my high school diploma for ECA.
You need to provide WES a degree certificate as proof of completion of degree for assessment. CIC does not give points for attendance but for completion of degree. An incomplete degree gives you no points with immigration. And, without ECA you cannot submit your EE profile. If you choose the option it will be considered misrepresentation.

kemperguitar

Feb 24, 2016
jairichi said:
You need to provide WES a degree certificate as proof of completion of degree for assessment. CIC does not give points for attendance but for completion of degree. An incomplete degree gives you no points with immigration. And, without ECA you cannot submit your EE profile. If you choose the option it will be considered misrepresentation.
That's terrible to know.

This makes me unable to complete my EE profile without LMIA or Provincial Nomination.....

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kemperguitar said:
That's terrible to know.

This makes me unable to complete my EE profile without LMIA or Provincial Nomination.....
One of the option of not requiring an ECA is if the course was completed in Canada.

kemperguitar

Feb 24, 2016
jairichi said:
One of the option of not requiring an ECA is if the course was completed in Canada.
Nope. I spent past five years in USA. I got my high school diploma there.
I attended two universities... I transferred to other one and changed my major so I lost some credits.
During my senior year, I found that I won't be able to immigrate to the states.
I gave up school and moved to Canada.

I haven't attended a school in Canada. However, I think it's possible to transfer USA college credits to a Canadian university...
After transfer, they'll appear the same on transcript. If I transfer all USA college credits to a Canadian university, can I choose "Bachelor OR 3 years at university program or institute" as my education since they won't require ECA?

I don't know what to do anymore...I think It's best to finish that bizarre LMIA stuff.
If I get that positive LMIA or provincial nomination, I will be eligible for Express Entry.

This whole situation is ironic. I chose an American university mainly because American universities have higher international recognition and more successful alumni. I was a teenager back then... but the consequence is horrendous enough to destroy my life plan.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kemperguitar said:
Nope. I spent past five years in USA. I got my high school diploma there.
I attended two universities... I transferred to other one and changed my major so I lost some credits.
During my senior year, I found that I won't be able to immigrate to the states.
I gave up school and moved to Canada.

I haven't attended a school in Canada. However, I think it's possible to transfer USA college credits to a Canadian university...
After transfer, they'll appear the same on transcript. If I transfer all USA college credits to a Canadian university, can I choose "Bachelor OR 3 years at university program or institute" as my education since they won't require ECA?

I don't know what to do anymore...I think It's best to finish that bizarre LMIA stuff.
If I get that positive LMIA or provincial nomination, I will be eligible for Express Entry.
If you transfer the credits and graduate from a Canadian university there is no need for an ECA.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kemperguitar said:
Yeah but it won't likely happen easily... I will figure this out.
Some universities have residency requirements... They want you to attend at least one or two years as a full time student.
It will cost so much more money and time. I wonder if I can take that amount of work on top of immigration issues which I'm completely dealing with by myself without a lawyer's help.

Thanks for all info. I will try to find a program or university which doesn't have residency requirement so I can easily get a certificate by just transferring credits.
There are few colleges like that in USA.
Yes, I agree it is tough. Good luck.