+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

early citizenship?

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Hi,
I was wondering the following:
For the job they want me to hire for, I need to be a Canadian citizen. Is there anyway I can became a citizen before the 5 years of living here (I am a PR)?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Gemini020 said:
Hi,
For the job they want me to hire for, I need to be a Canadian citizen. Is there anyway I can became a citizen before the 5 years of living here (I am a PR)?
Yes, If you have accumulated 1460 days calculated based on the residency calendar from cic, you won't need 5 years to qualify

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Gemini020 said:
Don't know where you got 5 years from. The current law requires 4 out of 6 years in Canada as a PR, though that is expected to be rolled back to 3 out of 4 years at some point this year, with pre-PR time being allowed again.

From your previous posts, you landed mid 2016 and were only in Canada for a few months before landing. Assuming the new rules will apply, you are looking at spring of 2019 before you qualify to apply for citizenship.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the answers. I thought it was after finishing the first PR for some reason. Either way, 4 years isn't helping me much either unfortunately (also we'll be out of the country every now and then). My employer (I have a temporary contract for now as that can be given to non-canadians) wanted me to find out if there was a way of getting citizenship earlier, when he immigrated it wasn't as long he said.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Gemini020 said:
Thanks for the answers. I thought it was after finishing the first PR for some reason. Either way, 4 years isn't helping me much either unfortunately (also we'll be out of the country every now and then). My employer (I have a temporary contract for now as that can be given to non-canadians) wanted me to find out if there was a way of getting citizenship earlier, when he immigrated it wasn't as long he said.
Nope. You must meet the residency requirement. Note that any time spent outside of Canada during the qualifying period is added on, i.e. if you spend 3 months outside of Canada, it will be an additional 3 months before you can apply for citizenship.