+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Early arrival to Canada

mrdoder

Aug 26, 2020
How early can we enter Canada in these unique circumstances once we get our passports stamped? My studies start in early January 2021, and I am looking to arrive one month before my start date. I've read somewhere here that during a recent webinar they said we could enter only up to three weeks before the start date - is this an official information? Thank you.

thecazgir

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020
How early can we enter Canada in these unique circumstances once we get our passports stamped? My studies start in early January 2021, and I am looking to arrive one month before my start date. I've read somewhere here that during a recent webinar they said we could enter only up to three weeks before the start date - is this an official information? Thank you.
It's said by ircc officials but I still haven't find other source. I sent an email to CBSA and am waiting for an answer. Will let you know

mrdoder

Aug 26, 2020
It's said by ircc officials but I still haven't find other source. I sent an email to CBSA and am waiting for an answer. Will let you know
True, on the government official website I couldn’t find any references to this issue. And thanks, I would appreciate your update on this.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
True, on the government official website I couldn’t find any references to this issue. And thanks, I would appreciate your update on this.
It has been advised in IRCC webinars not to arrive more than 3 weeks before your study permit begins. It is likely guidance.
What date is on your TRV? Date on study permit? Date on ETA?

mrdoder

Aug 26, 2020
It has been advised in IRCC webinars not to arrive more than 3 weeks before your study permit begins. It is likely guidance.
What date is on your TRV? Date on study permit? Date on ETA?
I haven’t gotten my visa stamped in the passport yet as I am about to send the documentation to my VAC soon. Also wouldn’t the study permit date be the date of the arrival to the Canadian airport as that’s where/when we get issued our study permits?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
I haven’t gotten my visa stamped in the passport yet as I am about to send the documentation to my VAC soon. Also wouldn’t the study permit date be the date of the arrival to the Canadian airport as that’s where/when we get issued our study permits?
No the study permit is usually aligned by the start date of your studies on the letter of admission you will have from your institution. I have just checked this up, in fact my daughter's was dated the day before the start of semester, though you're right it won't be printed till she arrives. The validity dates are on the letter of introduction. The TRV will also have validity dates if that is relevant.

mrdoder

Aug 26, 2020
No the study permit is usually aligned by the start date of your studies on the letter of admission you will have from your institution. I have just checked this up, in fact my daughter's was dated the day before the start of semester, though you're right it won't be printed till she arrives. The validity dates are on the letter of introduction. The TRV will also have validity dates if that is relevant.
Thanks for your input but why would validity dates matter in this case? The start date on the LOA is the key according to you.

Khurrammalik

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
On this topic, what date do you need to get there 3 weeks prior to? Orientation day? Or the start of the term?

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
The Letter of Introduction has details pertinent to your counterfoil such as "validity" and "must enter Canada by". It does not contain dates that are relevant to the study permit. You will only see those details when you receive the permit at the airport. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: janesama

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
The Letter of Introduction has details pertinent to your counterfoil such as "validity" and "must enter Canada by". It does not contain dates that are relevant to the study permit. You will only see those details when you receive the permit at the airport. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You sound correct to me

Reactions: azzamkc

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
TYPE: For officer use Document number: Validity (YYYY/MM/DD): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp www.canada.ca/travel ... 2 Must enter Canada by (YYYY/MM/DD):

The validity date and expiry dates of the study permit are both in the letter of introduction my daughter received. The validity date is 31/8/2020 but she did not receive her LOI until 21/10/2020.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
On this topic, what date do you need to get there 3 weeks prior to? Orientation day? Or the start of the term?
It's up to you to choose. Make sure you can travel legally then choose a convenient date. My daughter's travel has been determined by the decision to provide a complimentary bus to transport international students from Montreal airport to campus where I would imagine the majority of international students have chosen to quarantine. They'll miss 2 days maximum of physical in person classes, they will miss physical Winter orientation as it is during quarantine, the campus is closed before travel day, the campus staff deserve a Christmas holiday after possibly the hardest working year of their lives.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
TYPE: For officer use Document number: Validity (YYYY/MM/DD): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp www.canada.ca/travel ... 2 Must enter Canada by (YYYY/MM/DD):

The validity date and expiry dates of the study permit are both in the letter of introduction my daughter received. The validity date is 31/8/2020 but she did not receive her LOI until 21/10/2020.
Not sure what the relevance is of the links you sent. We may be talking about 2 different scenarios. If your daughter has not yet landed in Canada then she still does not have a Study Permit. She's been approved for one and now has a stamp that allows her to travel to Canada to get a study permit at the airport/border. It is only when that permit is handed over to her by the CBSA officer will she know the validity of the SP. Therefore, she cannot know (as of now) what the validity of that soon to be issued Study Permit.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Not sure what the relevance is of the links you sent. We may be talking about 2 different scenarios. If your daughter has not yet landed in Canada then she still does not have a Study Permit. She's been approved for one and now has a stamp that allows her to travel to Canada to get a study permit at the airport/border. It is only when that permit is handed over to her by the CBSA officer will she know the validity of the SP. Therefore, she cannot know (as of now) what the validity of that soon to be issued Study Permit.
I did not send any links, that link is embedded in the letter of introduction, this is the exact wording copied from the letter of introduction but of course the dates are removed when I copy, it's not me that actually removes the dates, the dates are 31/08/2020 to 31/08/2024. The validity of the study permit is in the letter of introduction. The dates are also the exact dates on the approval of study permit as appeared in the GCMS notes.