+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

e-Passport Next Generation: New Canadian Passport Design 2023

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
I will be applying for my passport in a couple days. Personally, I’m very happy I’ll be getting the existing one (and will have it for a whole 10 years). The new design does not roll out till “late summer” according to them (most likely sometime in late August).

I don’t think this new passport is all that. It’s nowhere near as dignified and stately as the existing design. The inside pages are simply a big joke. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose!
me to December 2022

Reactions: 747-captain

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Failure. No fingerprints in it. Still need stupid references and guarantor

The concepts of guarantor and references are really from another age, archaic... The reason for these requirements is the absence of a federal national identity document which would have allowed the identification of the person at the passport office. , and therefore the issuance of the passport without guarantor or references...

I do not understand why Canada, and the USA are practically the only two countries in the world which do not have a national identity card... There has already been a project in the past, but which has unfortunately abandoned:

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CIMM/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=626317

An interesting page that lists all the existing cards by country of issue, as well as the case of our country, Canada, and mentions how cards are diverted from their normal use (driver's license, or health card)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_identity_card_policies_by_country

smhsmh

Mar 27, 2023
The concepts of guarantor and references are really from another age, archaic... The reason for these requirements is the absence of a federal national identity document which would have allowed the identification of the person at the passport office. , and therefore the issuance of the passport without guarantor or references...

I do not understand why Canada, and the USA are practically the only two countries in the world which do not have a national identity card... There has already been a project in the past, but which has unfortunately abandoned:

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CIMM/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=626317

An interesting page that lists all the existing cards by country of issue, as well as the case of our country, Canada, and mentions how cards are diverted from their normal use (driver's license, or health card)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_identity_card_policies_by_country
Something something federation. In fact there is a federal ID, your PR card, oh wait, it's cut in pieces right before the ceremony..

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Something something federation. In fact there is a federal ID, your PR card, oh wait, it's cut in pieces right before the ceremony..

USA also have a similar card ( Green card ), I don't know if they have to cut it also during their citizenship day... But I was talking about a national identification card intended for citizens, not for permanent residents or even temporary.

The license and the health card are diverted from their uses, but it is not their primary use, there are people without a license: Several provinces offer photo id cards for people who do not have a driver's license ( But Quebec, for example, does not offer any), but all these remain initiatives specific to each province, which will never have the same value as a national map provided by the federal government.

The USA does not have one either, but the American federal government offers the possibility to those who ask for it to apply for a ''passport card'', it is the closest thing to a national identity card. unified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_passport_card

But to return to our initial subject: A federal national identity card to be effective (and dispense with the obligations to provide a guarantor and references for the first-time passport applicant, for example) should be very secure, electronic with chip , and contain the secure biometric information of the card holder ... All the countries that offer a national id card that I know of provide it most often from the national police service (So this should logically be delegated to the gendarmerie of Canada by following this diagram), and the applicant will have his photograph taken and his fingerprints taken when he comes of age, or when he acquires Canadian nationality.

C'est cette absence de carte nationale d'identité et une telle démarche qui, à mon avis, ont donné lieu à ces exigences de garants et de références pour confirmer l'identité de la personne.

** edit : ** Until 2012, Canada produced a citizenship card for new Canadians by naturalization, but it was by the IRCC website's own admission a ''comemorative'' card, obviously not secure.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/valid.html#citizenship-cards

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikiied28

brittanymurphy

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016

americans don't need ridiculous quanrantor and referees.

Reactions: 747-captain

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
americans don't need ridiculous quanrantor and referees.
What is even more SHOCKING and egregious, is that the references are even needed when RENEWING the passport!! Can there be anything more absurd and ridiculous than this?

Problem is, one might be able to find references, but who the hell will be willing to keep their phones on and take calls during their working hours, from these officials??!!! :rolleyes:

It was almost impossible for me to find references in Canada, especially considering that they cannot be family members … My guarantor ended up being my sister (and I was VERY LUCKY that she’s a stay-at-home mom). Even then she’s in Texas, and I had to Fedex the application and pics to her and she had to Fedex the signed docs back to me! What a pain in the a$$!! :mad:

I literally had to beg my references, and grovel at their feet (take them out to dinner etc.) to keep their phones available during work hours, as these ”passport people” might call them!

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
What is even more SHOCKING and egregious, is that the references are even needed when RENEWING the passport!! Can there be anything more absurd and ridiculous than this?

Problem is, one might be able to find references, but who the hell will be willing to keep their phones on and take calls during their working hours, from these officials??!!! :rolleyes:

It was almost impossible for me to find references in Canada, especially considering that they cannot be family members … My guarantor ended up being my sister (and I was VERY LUCKY that she’s a stay-at-home mom). Even then she’s in Texas, and I had to Fedex the application and pics to her and she had to Fedex the signed docs back to me! What a pain in the a$$!! :mad:

I literally had to beg my references, and grovel at their feet (take them out to dinner etc.) to keep their phones available during work hours, as these ”passport people” might call them!
I agree! This is ridiculous. I mean, it is not a problem to find references, but how do you find at least one normal, sane person who doesn't have "On" on their "Silence Unknown Callers" feature on their phone? Poor Gen Z. They will never ever have their passports. The Passport Office/People should check their references on Tik Tok in a form of a dance duet. That would be more realistic, and efficient. Sometimes I am bewildered by some archaic and behind-the-times methods and ways things are done here. And at the same time, IRCC is moving towards the self-administered oath!? How can these two things co-exist? Go figure!

brittanymurphy

Star Member
Apr 16, 2016

hopefully, I don't need to bang my guarantor and references!

Aarya_1596

Aug 25, 2019
As per passport canada, they started to issue new passport from June 18, 2023. Has anyone here received the redesigned passport?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
As per passport canada, they started to issue new passport from June 18, 2023. Has anyone here received the redesigned passport?
Yes passport office in Ottawa was first to get the new printers... there have been reports that they are receiving new design. West Coast is planned for March 2024

MatQue

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Any news abt Toronto? I dont think they comes available here in this yr
I would also like to know!!! My ceremony is scheduled for next week but I will wait till October or November to try getting the redesigned new passaport. Can I apply in Ottawa even if I live in Toronto?

Last edited:

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
I would also like to know!!! My ceremony is scheduled for next week but I will wait till October or November to try getting the redesigned new passaport. Can I apply in Ottawa even if I live in Toronto?
You may apply for a passport anywhere in the country... Passport Canada is a federal agency and they will mail it to wherever you live :)

Edit: if you don't live in Canada or US, you may apply at a High Commission or Embassy or Consulate abroad