+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duty fee

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
Hello, so I am still confused on this duty charges. So, am planning to drive in from Detroit. Do I pay duty on it because it's for personal use, or I will still pay regardless.
And do they charge duty on new appliances and products, such as blender, wine cups, printer? Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tough to answer without knowing more about your question.

If you are shopping in Detroit and bring a new blender, wine cups and a printer back to Canada...you will pay duties and taxes on those items.

If you are a PR of Canada (or citizen) and are visiting Detroit for more than 48 hours, your first $800 worth of goods is duty and tax exempt (generally).

If you are moving to Canada as a new PR, for example, you need to have a list of all goods that you are bringing with you into Canada on that day. The items on that list are usually duty/tax free. You would also need a `Goods to Follow' list that you must present outlining everything else that you have that will be coming later.

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
Tough to answer without knowing more about your question.

If you are shopping in Detroit and bring a new blender, wine cups and a printer...you will pay duties and taxes on those items.

If you are a PR of Canada (or citizen) and are visiting Detroit for more than 48 hours, your first $800 worth of goods is duty and tax exempt (generally)

If you are moving to Canada as a new PR, for example, you need to have a list of all goods that you are bringing with you into Canada on that day. The items on that list are usually duty/tax free. You would also need a `Goods to Follow' list that you must present outlining everything else that you have that will be coming later.
Am so sorry if my question is confusing Ponga, I really appreciate you for responding though. So, I am a new pr holder, and would be moving in with my personal car, luaggage and so many other stuff. But I saw a post in another thread saying she did not list 4 times because were new and it worth $250 but paid $80 as duty. is that duty fee because she did not declare it or its because its new?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Am so sorry if my question is confusing Ponga, I really appreciate you for responding though. So, I am a new pr holder, and would be moving in with my personal car, luaggage and so many other stuff. But I saw a post in another thread saying she did not list 4 times because were new and it worth $250 but paid $80 as duty. is that duty fee because she did not declare it or its because its new?
Got it. Congratulations!!

You must provide a detailed list of everything that you are bringing with you in your car...including your car (separate process to import a vehicle). Some vehicles (older ones, primarily) may not be able to be imported; they must meet certain safety criteria like having daytime running lights, for example.

If you have anything that is not coming with you in your car, you will need to create the Goods to follow form. More info, here:
https://www.prepareforcanada.com/before-you-arrive/settling-in-canada/goods-to-follow-bringing-your-belongings-to-canada/

"Canada allows you to import your goods from your home country duty-free only one time. However, you may have to pay duty for products that you haven’t yet used. There are different criteria for settlers and tourists. In some cases, the Border Services Agent might require you to post a refundable security deposit. This is not heavily enforced and is mostly at the discretion of the border services agent."

If you are bringing goods from Detroit...and your home country is not the U.S., you may have to pay some duty/tax, but it may be up to the CBSA officer to decide.

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
Got it. Congratulations!!

You must provide a detailed list of everything that you are bringing with you in your car...including your car (separate process to import a vehicle). Some vehicles (older ones, primarily) may not be able to be imported; they must meet certain safety criteria like having daytime running lights, for example.

If you have anything that is not coming with you in your car, you will need to create the Goods to follow form. More info, here:
https://www.prepareforcanada.com/before-you-arrive/settling-in-canada/goods-to-follow-bringing-your-belongings-to-canada/

"Canada allows you to import your goods from your home country duty-free only one time. However, you may have to pay duty for products that you haven’t yet used. There are different criteria for settlers and tourists. In some cases, the Border Services Agent might require you to post a refundable security deposit. This is not heavily enforced and is mostly at the discretion of the border services agent."

If you are bringing goods from Detroit...and your home country is not the U.S., you may have to pay some duty/tax, but it may be up to the CBSA officer to decide.
Thanks ponga. I really appreciate your response.