+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

During your 5-year eligibility period, did you have a valid temporary resident status(opens in new tab) before becoming a permanent resident?

NAS29

Star Member
Aug 26, 2018
Hi,
Work Permit End Date 26 Jun 2021
PR Received Date: 20 May 2021

While answering the above question. I mentioned my work permit end date as June 2021. However, system is not allowing me to enter this date and throwing error as follows.
This date must be before the date you became a permanent resident

It is only allowing to enter a day prior to the PR date. This is how it needs to be captured?

Em W

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
The physical presence calculator doesn't ask when your work permit expired. It asks you when was the last day that you were a work permit holder... In this case, your last day as a work permit holder was a day before becoming a PR. So it would be like this:

Work permit end date: 19 May 2021
PR Date: 20 May 2021

Remember, even if your work permit expires on 26 June 2021, your work permit is revoked when you become a PR. You were a work permit holder up to a day before landing as a PR.

The PR starting date is the date printed on the CoPR (the day of landing). So make sure you follow your CoPR date. Good luck!

akgpandey

Apr 21, 2020
Hi,

While answering the above question. I mentioned my work permit end date as June 2021. However, system is not allowing me to enter this date and throwing error as follows.

It is only allowing to enter a day prior to the PR date. This is how it needs to be captured?
@NAS29 Can you advise me what you did as I am also having same situation. Did you provide any Letter of explanation regarding this?

user4566

Sep 20, 2021
Hi Guys, Just have a question regarding citizenship Application. I enrolled in early childhood education last year sept 2022 but I withdrawn from the program after one semester so I only completed 1 semester. Do I need to mention this on the background form? Do I need to put withdrawn under type of certificate or diploma issued

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@akgpandey set the date as the day prior to becoming a PR and don't send any explanation letter.
Every single person who had a work or study permit before PR had the same situation, there's nothing to explain that IRCC doesn't know already.

Reactions: scylla

user4566

Sep 20, 2021
Hi Guys, Just have a question regarding citizenship Application. I enrolled in early childhood education last year sept 2022 but I withdrawn from the program after one semester so I only completed 1 semester. Do I need to mention this on the background form? Do I need to put withdrawn under type of certificate or diploma issued

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi,

Well, once you become a PR any temporary permits are effectively cancelled. Hence, you should either put the day prior as this is what is actually true.

@NAS29 Can you advise me what you did as I am also having same situation. Did you provide any Letter of explanation regarding this?
You don't need a letter of explanation, just common sense. Any temporary permits would effectively be cancelled as of the day prior if they were still not expired.

If you have the "withdrawn" option then this is clearly the answer because you actually withdrew.

user4566

Sep 20, 2021
Hello Guys, I used to work as a admin assistant in different province on a PR status then I moved to BC and the same company offered me work from home so I continued the same work but i was working from home (Surrey). Do I need to mention this work in work history twice? Do I need to specify it separately that I was working in person for this time of period and then I was working from home? In the City Column do I need put my city or employer's city when I was working from home?

ps2207

Sep 20, 2023
for this Question should we only enter work permit and study permit details and not the visa dates?
Also my permit dates goes as this.

Temporary resident status: International student
Date you received the status : November 22, 2017
Date your status expired : March 31, 2020
Did you apply to extend your status? : No

Temporary resident status : Temporary foreign worker
Date you received the status: September 16, 2019
Date your status expired: May 18, 2021
Did you apply to extend your status?: No

and then Permanent resident after the last work permit expiration date.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Is this for proof of language? I also was enrolled in a post secondary but didn't finish, it seemed it was sufficient proof.

saifulla

Sep 5, 2019
Well, once you become a PR any temporary permits are effectively cancelled. Hence, you should either put the day prior as this is what is actually true.

You don't need a letter of explanation, just common sense. Any temporary permits would effectively be cancelled as of the day prior if they were still not expired.

If you have the "withdrawn" option then this is clearly the answer because you actually withdrew.
Yes there is no withdrawal option unfortunately.
In my case :
WP start date : July 17 2019
WP expire date : April 24 2021
WP extension date : Jan 16 2021

PR received date : June 29 2021

So what should I select for :

Date your status expired?
Did you apply to extend your status? Yes
Was the extension approved? No ( since it was withdrawn?)
Date of decision for the refused extension: ?? Should this date be day before I receive my PR and not the actual withdrawal date ? But here it says refused not withdraw confusion.

Rivmann

Jan 28, 2021
The physical presence calculator doesn't ask when your work permit expired. It asks you when was the last day that you were a work permit holder... In this case, your last day as a work permit holder was a day before becoming a PR. So it would be like this:

Work permit end date: 19 May 2021
PR Date: 20 May 2021

Remember, even if your work permit expires on 26 June 2021, your work permit is revoked when you become a PR. You were a work permit holder up to a day before landing as a PR.

The PR starting date is the date printed on the CoPR (the day of landing). So make sure you follow your CoPR date. Good luck!
I applied for bridging open work permit but got my permanent residency before application was approved and before my work permit was expired. so what will be the option for 'did you apply to extend your status?' If i say yes- its asks me to give expiry date of bridging open workpermit which can't be same as expiry date of workpermit. So should no be the answer ?

azeezsaz

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-11-2020
Hello All,

My wife was on a TRV as a dependent before becoming a PR while I was on WP. Does the period she was on TRV count towards physical presence in Canada towards Citizenship eligibility. Has anyone in this group been on the same boat and what did you do?

Thanks
SAZ

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All,

My wife was on a TRV as a dependent before becoming a PR while I was on WP. Does the period she was on TRV count towards physical presence in Canada towards Citizenship eligibility. Has anyone in this group been on the same boat and what did you do?

Thanks
SAZ
Yes it does
I have been on closed WP and wife on OWP
The time spent on TRV is counted

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html

Counting Physical presence before becoming a permanent resident of Canada

As of October 11, 2017, non-permanent resident (NPR) time spent in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person may be used towards an applicant’s physical presence calculation. Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person, before becoming a permanent resident within the five-year period before the date of application will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards the physical presence calculation.

Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:

• visitor;
  • student;
  • worker; or,
  • temporary resident permit holder.

Last edited:

azeezsaz

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-11-2020
Yes it does
I have been on closed WP and wife on OWP
The time spent on TRV is counted

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html

Counting Physical presence before becoming a permanent resident of Canada

As of October 11, 2017, non-permanent resident (NPR) time spent in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person may be used towards an applicant’s physical presence calculation. Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person, before becoming a permanent resident within the five-year period before the date of application will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards the physical presence calculation.

Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:

• visitor;
  • student;
  • worker; or,
  • temporary resident permit holder.
Assalamualaikum Abbas,

JazakALLAH for the response and the link, it helps. I read through the page and have a query. Does "Unauthorized TR/NPR" mean the period you wait between the expiry of OLD WP and start date of new WP