+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration of temporary work permit

Canada_2011

Feb 19, 2010
Fellow forum visitors,

I have a question and appreciate your inputs in this regard -
I have found a job in Canada and the employer is applying for temporary work permit. The nature of the job is quite long term (more than 5+ years). My employer has policies not to apply for permanent residency. So they are applying for only temporary work permit. My question, when CIC issues temporary work permit, what is maximum duration for which a work permit can be given?

In case of US, it's normally 3 years and with possibility of another 3 years extension. I don;t know if Canada gives 3 years work permit.
Appreciate if you can provide inputs.

thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard of 3 year work permits but 2 years is more common.

torontoluv

Aug 9, 2010
hi,

Please i will llike to know if it is possible to change from Visitor Visa to Work permit if you find an employer who is willing to keep you?
and also please what is the precedure I i am born british

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you find an employer who is willing to apply for your LMO, see http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/poworkperm.shtml and they get it, then you can take this LMO to the border, flagpole (that is go to the US to come back to Canada) and apply for your work permit on entry. You need your LMO and your $150 for the work permit fee. This way of getting a work permit is open to people who are from visa exempt countries. You could apply for a work permit from inside Canada online or through the mail but the border is way faster. If you are far from the border, of course you can also fly out and come back in.