+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration of stay

kritika435

Mar 7, 2020
How long does a person need to stay in a province after taking PNP? I heard it is 2 years. Asking for British Columbia in particular. Also, after getting canadian PR, can a person move out of province or does she still need to live in that province? Also, are there any extreme cases where a person is allowed to leave the province and the rules are relaxed ?

dansura

Jul 16, 2021
This is my exact question and I happen to find no official information online. Hoping you have found this information!

Canada_traderman

Mar 14, 2020
Toronto, ON
Once you receive confirmation of permanent resident status you can do whatever you want, move to another province, change job etc. You have a right to live wherever you want regardless of province of nomination. There are no written rules or laws about how long you have to stay, however there are “not written” rules. Whole point of PNP is that you contribute to your province and they help you get PR. If you move out your province next day after getting PR, is it going to look nice? Maybe in couple years on your citizenship interview they’ll ask you this: “how come you promised to live in contribute to that province but moved next day?” Misrepresentation? Again, it’s all “not written, “rules of etiquette” I would say. Basically they can go after you, question is are you willing to take this risk, and if this risk is worth it?

Reactions: dansura

dansura

Jul 16, 2021
Once you receive confirmation of permanent resident status you can do whatever you want, move to another province, change job etc. You have a right to live wherever you want regardless of province of nomination. There are no written rules or laws about how long you have to stay, however there are “not written” rules. Whole point of PNP is that you contribute to your province and they help you get PR. If you move out your province next day after getting PR, is it going to look nice? Maybe in couple years on your citizenship interview they’ll ask you this: “how come you promised to live in contribute to that province but moved next day?” Misrepresentation? Again, it’s all “not written, “rules of etiquette” I would say. Basically they can go after you, question is are you willing to take this risk, and if this risk is worth it?
Thank you so much for this information. It was really, really hard to find. I just had something like "you should plan/ intend to stay in the province" in the Nomination Letter.