+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI international student

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
My friend’s case is still pending and he did not get charged yet. We are hoping that the court atleast give him enough time to graduate until they goes into trail.

during the last court date the judge looked at him positively and didn’t want to make a decision that time as the judge wants him to graduate.
But my friend’s study permit expires soon and he submitted his application, THE CIC now asked a criminal record check from him. And now he’s really worried thinking whether they rejects his application seeing he has an pending case going on. Does anyone know anything about this situation?
What do you mean? Is he applying for a study permit extension? If so, yes it will be a problem I imagine

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Yes, he is on his last year of university. So he’s applied for extension. The CIC asked to send them a criminal background check.
Do you think they will reject his application? Because he doesn’t have a conviction yet, he’s charges are still pending and probably might be dismissed in the next court date.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, he is on his last year of university. So he’s applied for extension. The CIC asked to send them a criminal background check.
Do you think they will reject his application? Because he doesn’t have a conviction yet, he’s charges are still pending and probably might be dismissed in the next court date.
He may only get a very short extension or the extension will be delayed until the court proceedings.

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Thank you so much. Do you have or know anyone who has gone through the same situation and came out with a hope?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So does that mean the Study permit extension will not be renewed to him until the case is resolved?
Difficult to say as it’s up to the VO discretion, but it is certainly a possibility. As a temporary resident, it isn’t necessarily about the conviction only. Arrest and detention would also be a consideration.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Thanks for the info man. Do you have anything who went thru the same situation like my friend.
There must be a way around this because the person’s entire life depends on this

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
Conviction of DUI will end your future.
Thanks for the info man. Do you have anything who went thru the same situation like my friend.
There must be a way around this because the person’s entire life depends on this
DUI is considered worse crime than anything else. If convicted he is in deep shit. He wont be able to apply for extension or PR.

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Getting it dropped is no big deal if you have an amazing lawyer by your side. I had help from best of lawyers and got it dropped. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.
Hey man I am just wondering how did you end up getting your charges dropped? Got any advises for me? I’m going on my trial next week

canpermit

Oct 24, 2018
Hey man I am just wondering how did you end up getting your charges dropped? Got any advises for me? I’m going on my trial next week
Hi, criminal lawyer helped me. I saw your reply today. Hope all went fine, please let me know if I could be of ant help!

Reactions: Cor_

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Hi, criminal lawyer helped me. I saw your reply today. Hope all went fine, please let me know if I could be of ant help!
Everything is still ongoing man, my lawyer are trying to get the charges stayed but there’s only a little chance of success.
Do you find dropping your email address to me? I really wanted to know how you got help with yours.

Reactions: canpermit

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
How did it go, were you able to get your charges dropped?
The lawyers are still trying their best to see if the judge does not impose a mandatory minimum. They will try to convince the judge stating all the collateral consequences there will be if the student gets convicted.
May I have your email address, I really want to know how your charges got dropped.

At1

Jun 6, 2019
The lawyers are still trying their best to see if the judge does not impose a mandatory minimum. They will try to convince the judge stating all the collateral consequences there will be if the student gets convicted.
May I have your email address, I really want to know how your charges got dropped.
Hi there,
I’m in a bit of a similar situation right now. I just want how it went through and how long does the process take to go on?