+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI international student

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Hello everyone, I am seeking help on behalf of one of my close buddy. He’s an international student just like I am who got a DUI on February 17 2018. He is an university student who got only 2 semesters left to graduate. What I can tell about him is he isn’t someone who would do this but yes everyone goes through rough times in life which might have make them make mistakes. He’s loved by everyone here and never had problems with law.
I just wanna know what are the good sides and bad sides can there be. His next court Date is on the 14th August.
Can his case be dropped or will there be a deportation right away?

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Everything depends on the decision of the next court hearing on 14th August. However, if he will be convicted DUI, he will become inadmissible to Canada.
FYI, DUI comes under serious criminality since Canada legalized marijuana.

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Thanks a lot man. And yup I am do aware of that consequences. My friend got legal aid as a lawyer and the lawyer pushed the trail until August. The crown asked to make a pre sentencing report to getter a better idea of my friend’s family background, criminal records and basically a better idea of him.
This can be a good thing but still isn’t a 100% sure of what’s going to happen.
I just wanna know what are the chances ?

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Everything depends on the decision of the next court hearing on 14th August. However, if he will be convicted DUI, he will become inadmissible to Canada.
FYI, DUI comes under serious criminality since Canada legalized marijuana.

He also got the DUI before 2018 December which was before the tougher laws were imposed. So will that be implied at him ? And also by any chance if he’s convicted will the cic place a deportation order immediately or only when he’s trying to renew his study permit?

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
Hello everyone, I am seeking help on behalf of one of my close buddy. He’s an international student just like I am who got a DUI on February 17 2018. He is an university student who got only 2 semesters left to graduate. What I can tell about him is he isn’t someone who would do this but yes everyone goes through rough times in life which might have make them make mistakes. He’s loved by everyone here and never had problems with law.
I just wanna know what are the good sides and bad sides can there be. His next court Date is on the 14th August.
what’s the update with your friend’s case now? Did his case get dropped?

canpermit

Oct 24, 2018
Getting it dropped is no big deal if you have an amazing lawyer by your side. I had help from best of lawyers and got it dropped. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

canpermit

Oct 24, 2018
Depends on one's case, its always a customized amount, catered to one's need.
Many a times crown doesn't have a strong file, that's when you are in luck to get that case thrown out of court by your lawyer.
Again, it can be complicated case sometimes and might take more time and resources to fight it and get justice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Depends on one's case, its always a customized amount, catered to one's need.
Many a times crown doesn't have a strong file, that's when you are in luck to get that case thrown out of court by your lawyer.
Again, it can be complicated case sometimes and might take more time and resources to fight it and get justice.
"Get justice" when you were caught with a BAC double the legal limit? Your sense of justice is a bit skewed....

May 23, 2020
Hey man, I just wanted to know what really happened to your friend?

Cor_

Aug 5, 2019
My friend’s case is still pending and he did not get charged yet. We are hoping that the court atleast give him enough time to graduate until they goes into trail.

during the last court date the judge looked at him positively and didn’t want to make a decision that time as the judge wants him to graduate.
But my friend’s study permit expires soon and he submitted his application, THE CIC now asked a criminal record check from him. And now he’s really worried thinking whether they rejects his application seeing he has an pending case going on. Does anyone know anything about this situation?

Reactions: canpermit