+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dui and Canada entry

Oct 23, 2021
Hi there,
I need some information and will really appreciate your time and knowledge, so my question is if there is disqualification of drivers license for 6 month and $600 fine one will be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation after the 6 month disqualification period was over or the license was reinstated but what about the monetary fine if that was paid in instalments will the 5 year wait period for criminal rehabilitation eligibility starts after the last payment for monetary fine was made or still able to apply once driving probation was over? Really confused about it because on ircc website the senario which explains driving convictions has no explanation regarding monetary fine just disqualification is mentioned but my sentence was combination of both disqualification for 6 month and 600 fine. Me and my partner are planning to immigrate to Canada, if one family member is inadmissible that makes the whole family is Inadmissible or is there any other way out that atleast my partner can apply for any residency program as my Dui conviction is holding up the whole process as 5 years to be eligible for criminal rehabilitation and that too I am Wondering if 5 years will be counted from end of pmnt plan that adds another one year to my 5 year wait time .
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,
I need some information and will really appreciate your time and knowledge, so my question is if there is disqualification of drivers license for 6 month and $600 fine one will be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation after the 6 month disqualification period was over or the license was reinstated but what about the monetary fine if that was paid in instalments will the 5 year wait period for criminal rehabilitation eligibility starts after the last payment for monetary fine was made or still able to apply once driving probation was over? Really confused about it because on ircc website the senario which explains driving convictions has no explanation regarding monetary fine just disqualification is mentioned but my sentence was combination of both disqualification for 6 month and 600 fine. Me and my partner are planning to immigrate to Canada, if one family member is inadmissible that makes the whole family is Inadmissible or is there any other way out that atleast my partner can apply for any residency program as my Dui conviction is holding up the whole process as 5 years to be eligible for criminal rehabilitation and that too I am Wondering if 5 years will be counted from end of pmnt plan that adds another one year to my 5 year wait time .
Thanks
I responded in your other thread but will also respond here.

As a general rule, the 5 year clock for rehabilitation only starts once all probation is complete and all fines are paid. So to answer your question, it's my belief that the 5 years will only start once all installments have been paid. I would recommend you get a paid consult with an immigration lawyer to confirm this.

You have to be admissible to Canada in order to apply for permanent residency. If a family member is inadmissible, then the PR application cannot proceed.

Again, get a consult with a good immigration lawyer so that you can be sure when the five years will be counted from. Then you will know where you stand.

Reactions: Kaibigan