+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual UK/Canadian Citizen - Sponsoring UK Spouse

Chrishop91

Sep 20, 2018
Hi All,

I am a Dual UK/Canadian Citizen who has lived in the UK my entire life. I visit Canada maybe x2 times a year to see family, also got married in Banff, and have recently started looking to move over there on a permanent basis. My wife is from the UK and holds only a UK passport so I would be looking to Sponsor her (unless there is an easier way to bring her with me that allows her to work?).

I appear to tick all the boxes when it comes to Sponsor eligibility. The only questions I think I need answering at this stage are as follows:

1) There is a question on one of the applications that says 'When was the last time you lived in Canada?'. I am a Canadian living abroad looking to Sponsor my wife to move over - if I say 'I have never lived there' will it be held against me?

2) What kind of documentary evidence is required to show our joint intent to move to Canada when Sponsorship is complete? We have been speaking with a number of contacts in Toronto who can help us secure jobs and have started writing a letter detailing where we want to live and what we will do when we get over there. Is this sufficient?

Kind Regards,
Chris

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
1) There is a question on one of the applications that says 'When was the last time you lived in Canada?'. I am a Canadian living abroad looking to Sponsor my wife to move over - if I say 'I have never lived there' will it be held against me?
No, it won't 'be held against' you. You will of course need to provide a solid plan for moving back to 'prove' your intention. I am similar to yourself, although I lived in Canada until I was 11 (then lived in UK for the next 50 years!). I managed it! You will of course need a current Canadian passport.

2) What kind of documentary evidence is required to show our joint intent to move to Canada when Sponsorship is complete? We have been speaking with a number of contacts in Toronto who can help us secure jobs and have started writing a letter detailing where we want to live and what we will do when we get over there. Is this sufficient?
A lot of information on precisely this point (and more) in the wiki link below. Suggest you have a good read.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
No, it won't 'be held against' you. You will of course need to provide a solid plan for moving back to 'prove' your intention. I am similar to yourself, although I lived in Canada until I was 11 (then lived in UK for the next 50 years!). I managed it! You will of course need a current Canadian passport.

A lot of information on precisely this point (and more) in the wiki link below. Suggest you have a good read.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms
The advice from Hurlabrick is pretty much all you need.

If you’ve never lived here before, you’re almost like a new immigrant yourself, except you don’t need IRCC/CBSA permission to move here. As a citizen you’re, personally, all set.

Your wife, however, does need permission to move here, and that’s where your plan becomes imperative to this. You need to convince IRCC that you have a viable plan and can make the move over work out.

If you intend to do an inland sponsorship, your wife’s entry will be considered dual intent. It’s important you tell the complete truth about your intentions, as if the CBSA officer believes you’re not telling the truth, you’ll be considered to have committed misrepresentation and and exclusion order could be issued against your wife. This is extreme example of the worst possible outcome, but it has happened before.

I moved over under dual intent, had no issues with the CBSA officer, told them exactly what our plan was. The difference here is that my wife was already living here as a Canadian born citizen. You could always apply Outland if that’s an option available to you. If you do it this way, it’ll be complete within about 12 months, and you can continue your life in the UK in the meantime, whilst awaiting approval. Your wife can land at the airport and active her PR status on arrival.

I think you’ll have no issues either way. Read this forum, read the IRCC guides, and take your time to ensure you don’t make any mistakes on the paperwork.

Good luck and wishing you many happy years of life together in Canada.

SaffaGirl

Sep 30, 2018
Hi there,

So, my husband is a Canadian passport holder and has his citizen card. He has not, however, ever lived in Canada. He has been on holiday once. He holds dual South African and Canadian citizenship. We are looking to immigrate to Vancouver within the next 2-3 years. I am a dual Irish and South African citizenship holder and our daughter is full South African. We currently live in South Africa.

My questions are:

1) Does he qualify to be a sponsor?
2) How can he prove that he intends to live there on approval of the sponsorship and PR?
3) Would it be better for him to travel to Canada for job interviews, set up with bank accounts, SIN etc?

Appreciate the help :)