+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual permanent residency in USA and Canada

USACanada

May 9, 2015
I am a green card holder in the USA. Recently I submitted my Canadian permanent resident application through express entry (I was invited to apply). My question is that when CIC approves my application and asks me to pick up the PR letter, will they ask any question about my green card in USA? Can I be permanent residents in both countries?

My husband lives and works in USA, so I have a greed card. I travel to USA very often and I live in USA about 4 months a year.
I need to apply permanent residency in Canada because I have a job in Canada and will lose it if I do not apply PR.

Does anyone have a similar situation? Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can certainly be a PR in both countries, but...I thought the requirement to maintain a GC, was to reside in the U.S. for at least 180 days per year.

If you're only spending ~ 120 days per year there, how are you able to maintain your GC status?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You need to stay 2 out 5 years in Canada to retain PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The requirements to maintain a GC in the US are not being outside Canada for more than a year at a time, preferably more than 6 months. There is no minimum time you have to stay. However, a US immigration officer can also revoke a GC if they find that the person is permanently living outside the US. Such could for example include having gotten PR in another country or not filing taxes in the US.

It is therefore possible to keep both. You should file taxes in both countries. Due to a tax agreement, you will not be paying dual tax because of that. Get an accountant who specializes in people who live in both countries.

You can continue staying in the US 4 months a year and in Canada the rest. You should not be waving both your GC and PR card around at the same time. I have heard of Canadian immigration officers hassling people who have a GC as well even to the point of telling them that you can't have both and wanting to revoke their PR card but truth is that Canada has no rules against it.

Henuk

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
The requirements to maintain a GC in the US are not being outside Canada for more than a year at a time, preferably more than 6 months. There is no minimum time you have to stay. However, a US immigration officer can also revoke a GC if they find that the person is permanently living outside the US. Such could for example include having gotten PR in another country or not filing taxes in the US.

It is therefore possible to keep both. You should file taxes in both countries. Due to a tax agreement, you will not be paying dual tax because of that. Get an accountant who specializes in people who live in both countries.

You can continue staying in the US 4 months a year and in Canada the rest. You should not be waving both your GC and PR card around at the same time. I have heard of Canadian immigration officers hassling people who have a GC as well even to the point of telling them that you can't have both and wanting to revoke their PR card but truth is that Canada has no rules against it.
I am bit worried. As i m in canada now and has been applied for the PR, but i am usa greencard holder