+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Nationality Documents/Police Certificate

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Dear All,

Just started preparing my application for spousal sponsorship after gathering every document under the sun. One quick question about dual nationality: is there any difference as to what nationality I apply as (I am Serbian and Bosnian) as long as I provide details of both? I was thinking of applying as a Bosnian as I was born there but I haven't lived there in a very long while and I use my Serbian passport more often. Secondly, is one set of documents (birth, marriage etc. certificates) enough or do I need to provide it from both?

As for police clearances - the instructions are quite adamant that it be only provided for places I have lived in for 6 consecutive months since I turned 18. I did not live in Bosnia for that period since I was 18. Do I still send it as it is from the country of my nationality?

Thanks in advance.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Little confused here but wil try my best . If you are the sponsor it doesn't matter which passport you use.If you are the applicant apply from where you are living now as you may require an interview and that will be the country they will arrange it for .If you go the other route you will have to go back to Bosnia . As for documents it don't matter what nationally you are you only require one set.

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Thanks.

Well I live in Serbia but was thinking of using the Bosnian passport as I was born there. I go from time to time, it is very close (30minute flight) and I don't mind going there if there is need for an interview.

I guess I am confused by whether I need a police certificate despite not living in the country of my nationality for the last 22 years. It has taken forever to gather all the others ones from UK, Asia, Africa so I would not mind missing one if it is not necessary.

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
I don't really know the answer to your question but it doesn't matter with regards to the interview because both of those countries have Vienna as their VO. So if you need to go for an interview it will be in Vienna anyways. But I'm not sure if you need both sets of certificates. I would say - maybe just stick to one country. Do you have a birth certificate from Serbia as well?

I'm not sure - but I don't think you need a police certificate for Bosnia if you haven't lived there since you were 18.

But see what others have to say. I'm sure there are more senior members who know.