+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent: Which one first? Work permit or PR?

nov11

Star Member
Jan 12, 2014
Hello All,

I am working on my docs for FSWO (recevied ITA) and have only a month left to submit. Meanwhile my company is starting my work permit application to Canada. I do not want to inform company about my PR.

I am planning to go with work permit submission first within a month and then file for PR immediately. So I guess for medicals for PR would take more than a month to process, meanwhile work permit could be processed.
Intention is company should not get any queries from CIC about my PR.

This is just my thinking.

Please suggest which is the best thing to do?

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
Hello All,

I am working on my docs for FSWO (recevied ITA) and have only a month left to submit. Meanwhile my company is starting my work permit application to Canada. I do not want to inform company about my PR.

I am planning to go with work permit submission first within a month and then file for PR immediately. So I guess for medicals for PR would take more than a month to process, meanwhile work permit could be processed.
Intention is company should not get any queries from CIC about my PR.

This is just my thinking.

Please suggest which is the best thing to do?
I think the bigger problem is that when you file for PR with your work history there is a good chance that the CIC will either contact your current employer or will request a signed letter from your current employer.

If they are going through the hassle of applying for a work permit for you then why are you worried about telling them of your PR? Seems like it could help them really

nov11

Star Member
Jan 12, 2014
I think the bigger problem is that when you file for PR with your work history there is a good chance that the CIC will either contact your current employer or will request a signed letter from your current employer.

If they are going through the hassle of applying for a work permit for you then why are you worried about telling them of your PR? Seems like it could help them really
Thanks for your reply.

PR is intention to leave the company and move out. Hence that is not a good idea to let them know. During PR verification if they call the contact I have provided it is still ok.

Reactions: GavinSouthAfrica

Anineha

Jan 14, 2019
Hi All,

I have Dual Intent query. I am expecting to get a temporary LMIA for work permit. While I am in Canada working, can my wide apply for PR mentioning me as a dependent?

I have a few questions, would really appreciate some help here:-
Is this even allowed, its a variation of Dual intent?
Will she have to mention that her dependent is accompanying her in the express entry application?
Where and how can she mention in her express entry application that her dependent husband is already having a work permit?

Are we looking at some complication here? I can forego the Job offer, but I will lose the earnings for 4 months and an amazing job opportunity.

Please suggest if any has ever been in this situation

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I have Dual Intent query. I am expecting to get a temporary LMIA for work permit. While I am in Canada working, can my wide apply for PR mentioning me as a dependent?

I have a few questions, would really appreciate some help here:-
Is this even allowed, its a variation of Dual intent?
Will she have to mention that her dependent is accompanying her in the express entry application?
Where and how can she mention in her express entry application that her dependent husband is already having a work permit?

Are we looking at some complication here? I can forego the Job offer, but I will lose the earnings for 4 months and an amazing job opportunity.

Please suggest if any has ever been in this situation
Hi

Yes, its allowed.

Yes, she must declare you.

Yes, she will have to mention your country of residence and status.

Anineha

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply, glad to know the answers. But this leads to a few more queries. I would really appreciate your views on these

- Do I have to get my medical and police verification done from Canada?
- Does this mean, I will have to return to my home country once to Submit my passport? I am sure I cannot courier something like a passport.
- With the new visa stamped on my passport as a dependent PR visa enough? Will I have to take some extra steps about to null my old work permit status?
- Do we have to explain our situation at the point of entry to Canada with some specific documentation?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply, glad to know the answers. But this leads to a few more queries. I would really appreciate your views on these

- Do I have to get my medical and police verification done from Canada?
- Does this mean, I will have to return to my home country once to Submit my passport? I am sure I cannot courier something like a passport.
- With the new visa stamped on my passport as a dependent PR visa enough? Will I have to take some extra steps about to null my old work permit status?
- Do we have to explain our situation at the point of entry to Canada with some specific documentation?
The medical can be done anywhere. You will need to get any required PCCs.

No. Passports can be sent to Ottawa.

Enough for what? No, you don't do anything to your work permit. You just land as a PR.

No.

Anineha

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks a ton Canuck. One last question, I did not understand what you meant by "You will need to get any required PCCs"

Do I need to get PCC from Canada (which will be my country of residence while my wife files for the PR) or do I have to submit a PCC from my home country?

Cheers!

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
its all good. i applied WP and PR at same time(using LMIA of WP) and its all good.

PCC for Canada not required... rest u need.. HOME country and any country where u stayed more than 6 months( it does not mean cont it means added of stay)