+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual intent question

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
My family and I are about to travel (move) to Canada. I've sponsored my wife and she's currently going through the long process of becoming a permanent resident. When we get to customs in Canada, what should we say about my wife? That myself and my kids are moving back to Canada and that my wife is coming as a visitor until she receives her permanent resident visa? Do we have to declare dual intent? Is there some kind of documentation that my wife needs to show? So far she hasn't really received anything but I've received an email saying that I am approved to sponsor her. Any help would be much appreciated.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, you say that you and the kids are moving back to Canada, and that your wife is visiting while she waits for her PR application to be processed. She should bring proof of the PR application, such as your approval letter as a sponsor. If she has any ties to her home country, bring that too. She must be clear that she is just visiting, and will leave if the PR visa is not granted.
Usually people are let in under these circumstances, if they are from a country where people do not need a visa to enter Canada. If she needs a visa and has one, this should be fine as well.

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Yes, you say that you and the kids are moving back to Canada, and that your wife is visiting while she waits for her PR application to be processed. She should bring proof of the PR application, such as your approval letter as a sponsor. If she has any ties to her home country, bring that too. She must be clear that she is just visiting, and will leave if the PR visa is not granted.
Usually people are let in under these circumstances, if they are from a country where people do not need a visa to enter Canada. If she needs a visa and has one, this should be fine as well.
One thing I forgot to mention is that my wife is Japanese. I believe that Japanese nationals don't require (or just automatically get) a temporary visitors visa so is there any need to declare dual intent? Can we just say she's visiting and she should automatically get a 6 month period to stay in Canada, right? Or will we need to declare that so that when she inevitably has to apply for an extension (IRCC is so slooow) she'll be able to do so?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
One thing I forgot to mention is that my wife is Japanese. I believe that Japanese nationals don't require (or just automatically get) a temporary visitors visa so is there any need to declare dual intent? Can we just say she's visiting and she should automatically get a 6 month period to stay in Canada, right? Or will we need to declare that so that when she inevitably has to apply for an extension (IRCC is so slooow) she'll be able to do so?
She doesn't need to actually declare dual intent. She just needs to say that she is coming to visit her family while her PR app processes. She will be granted visitor status, most likely the standard 6 months. If she needs to, she can apply for an extension.

Reactions: Bspar

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You don't say the words 'dual intent'. Your wife has dual intent, but you don't declare it. She just says she is a visitor, and has a PR application in process. The border agent will know that means dual intent.

Reactions: Bspar

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
You don't say the words 'dual intent'. Your wife has dual intent, but you don't declare it. She just says she is a visitor, and has a PR application in process. The border agent will know that means dual intent.
Haha, thank you. I was sort of wondering whether that was sort of a password that needed to be spoken or if it was just sort of implied. In that case, I'll just say she's visiting and bring along the message I got from IRCC saying that my application to sponsor her was approved. Thanks for the help!

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
She doesn't need to actually declare dual intent. She just needs to say that she is coming to visit her family while her PR app processes. She will be granted visitor status, most likely the standard 6 months. If she needs to, she can apply for an extension.
Does she have to mention the PR part? Or is it fine to stop at "I'm here to visit my spouse"?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does she have to mention the PR part? Or is it fine to stop at "I'm here to visit my spouse"?
She doesn't have to mention anything unless directly asked. However, CBSA will be able to see the PR app in the system, so there is no point in not mentioning it.

Reactions: Forte

Alex_Spouse

Apr 10, 2016
Hello @canuck_in_uk

Our family class spousal application is currently in progress (May 2017 applicant). I am a Canadian citizen and due to relocate back to Canada in short order. My wife will be accompanying me (along with my belongings / goods to follow list and pet) to assist with my relocation (as a visitor). She is awaiting her PR approval and will be visiting for a couple of months before going back to her home country to formally arrange the move to Canada (container, etc.) - of course, always assuming that the PR application will be approved.

So, in order to be able to clearly show and evidence that my wife is entering Canada with the bona fide intent of a visitor, we will be armed with the following:

1. Return airfare
2. Banking in home country
3. Quotations from moving company to move things in summer of 2018 (such move date being chosen on the basis that the PR application should take max 2 months from application date)
4. Husband (Canadian citizen) sponsor application approval letter

Not asking for formal advice, but any guidance or input based on your experience (or from anyone for that matter) would be much appreciated.

Best,
Alex

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello @canuck_in_uk

Our family class spousal application is currently in progress (May 2017 applicant). I am a Canadian citizen and due to relocate back to Canada in short order. My wife will be accompanying me (along with my belongings / goods to follow list and pet) to assist with my relocation (as a visitor). She is awaiting her PR approval and will be visiting for a couple of months before going back to her home country to formally arrange the move to Canada (container, etc.) - of course, always assuming that the PR application will be approved.

So, in order to be able to clearly show and evidence that my wife is entering Canada with the bona fide intent of a visitor, we will be armed with the following:

1. Return airfare
3. Quotations from moving company to move things in summer of 2018 (such move date being chosen on the basis that the PR application should take max 2 months from application date)

Not asking for formal advice, but any guidance or input based on your experience (or from anyone for that matter) would be much appreciated.

Best,
Alex
Have a read here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Can_I_wait_in_Canada_while_my_application_is_being_processed:_Dual_Intent

Alex_Spouse

Apr 10, 2016
Many thanks and duly noted!

We will certainly have our application records and be available to discuss the status of the application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello @canuck_in_uk

1. Return airfare

Best,
Alex
Hi

Nothing to add. She should have no issues.