+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual intent entry?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Hi All,
*I asked this in the Family Class Sponsorship forum and was advised to also ask this here*

My husband is Canadian, I'm American, and our daughter is 12 months and was born in the US. My outland PR application was submitted in January, I have a case number and biometrics request letter. (The baby's citizenship application is also out there somewhere in the wilds of bureaucracy after being submitted in July 2020.) Back before we applied we did a lawyer consult and were assured that the baby and I could almost certainly enter as tourists with dual intent and if need be apply for a visitor visa extension from within Canada, and that all sounded good. Now that my husband has a job that will be starting in mid-May and the prospect of actually talking to a border guard explaining our dual intent is getting closer I am getting nervous. Here is what I am thinking, and I'd appreciate any insight.

1. We will all three be travelling together so that we can quarantine together. I am afraid that this will be a red flag to the border guard that baby and I won't abide by the normal tourist visa rules.

2. We will be sending belongings and I assume we put that and the lease solely in my husband's name.

3. My husband wants to import our family car, I assume that that needs to be done in his name only as well.

4. We will maintain a US address and bank account etc but I won't have a job in the US. Will that raise any red flags?

5. Basically my plan is to say at the border that I've applied for my PR and our daughter's citizenship, and we are coming with him as he repatriates to Canada so that we aren't separated while waiting for the PR/citizenship and are travelling together so that we can quarantine together, and that I understand that the baby and I will have to leave when the tourist visa ends, and that we would have to leave and re-enter if the PR/citizenship came through while we were on the tourist visa. Does that sound good?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
*I asked this in the Family Class Sponsorship forum and was advised to also ask this here*

My husband is Canadian, I'm American, and our daughter is 12 months and was born in the US. My outland PR application was submitted in January, I have a case number and biometrics request letter. (The baby's citizenship application is also out there somewhere in the wilds of bureaucracy after being submitted in July 2020.) Back before we applied we did a lawyer consult and were assured that the baby and I could almost certainly enter as tourists with dual intent and if need be apply for a visitor visa extension from within Canada, and that all sounded good. Now that my husband has a job that will be starting in mid-May and the prospect of actually talking to a border guard explaining our dual intent is getting closer I am getting nervous. Here is what I am thinking, and I'd appreciate any insight.

1. We will all three be travelling together so that we can quarantine together. I am afraid that this will be a red flag to the border guard that baby and I won't abide by the normal tourist visa rules.

2. We will be sending belongings and I assume we put that and the lease solely in my husband's name.

3. My husband wants to import our family car, I assume that that needs to be done in his name only as well.

4. We will maintain a US address and bank account etc but I won't have a job in the US. Will that raise any red flags?

5. Basically my plan is to say at the border that I've applied for my PR and our daughter's citizenship, and we are coming with him as he repatriates to Canada so that we aren't separated while waiting for the PR/citizenship and are travelling together so that we can quarantine together, and that I understand that the baby and I will have to leave when the tourist visa ends, and that we would have to leave and re-enter if the PR/citizenship came through while we were on the tourist visa. Does that sound good?

Thanks!
It is really up to the CBSA agent. Technically you can’t move to Canada and can only visit. Although you say you are only visiting all your belongings are being moved to Canada. Given covid there seems to be more flexibility.

Reactions: MJSPARV