+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship for my newborn. Us/Canada

AshleyP86

Apr 9, 2015
I am a US citizen, my husband is a Canadian citizen (born there) and has a permanent residence card for the US. Can our son be a dual citizen for the US and Canada? And do I just apply for his Canadian Citizenship?
Im so confused. Please help.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AshleyP86 said:
I am a US citizen, my husband is a Canadian citizen (born there) and has a permanent residence card for the US. Can our son be a dual citizen for the US and Canada? And do I just apply for his Canadian Citizenship?
Your son is automatically both a Canadian and a US citizen .. You don't need to apply for Canadian citizenship, you just need to get his citizenship certificate if he was born outside Canada as a proof of citizenship.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From the information you've given, your son will be a dual citizen automatically if born in the U.S., and will be a dual citizen if born in Canada provided that you've lived at least five years in the U.S. prior to your son's birth, and at least two of those five years were after your 14th birthday.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
AshleyP86 said:
What's confusing you? This is a straightforward issue. If you have difficulty distinguishing reliable information from random rumours, just call a consulate of the country that your child was not born in. If they are born in Canada, call an American consulate. If they are born in America, call a Canadian consulate. The person you talk to there will tell you what the situation is.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
AshleyP86 said:
From what I am reading here on your post, you are currently living in US and your son is born in the US. If this is the case, your son will have dual citizenship. Both US and Canadian citizenship. The son will be considered to be 2nd generation Canadian. Your son will not be able to past on Canadian citizenship if he continued to have children outside Canada.

You just have to apply for proof of Canadian Citizenship in which your son will get a Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
What's confusing you? This is a straightforward issue. If you have difficulty distinguishing reliable information from random rumours, just call a consulate of the country that your child was not born in. If they are born in Canada, call an American consulate. If they are born in America, call a Canadian consulate. The person you talk to there will tell you what the situation is.
The OP asked for information on dual citizenship, which seems like a perfectly acceptable question to me. I don't see where she refused to believe what she was told here in favour of "rumours."

If everyone knew all the answers to everything, there would be no use for this forum.