Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
What about the 3 month waiting period for OHIP? Does it start from the time she gets PR status or does she have to be physically residing in Canada for at least 3 months?
The other issue we have is we do not have documentation to prove we will move to Canada when she is granted a visa for PR in Canada. We need to sell our home in the US first then use the proceeds to purchase one in Canada. Also, I'm not sure I'll get a transfer from my current employer, so cannot get a letter confirming we will be moving there. The only reason why we thought of applying for her visa now instead of once we move to Canada is to reduce the wait time for OHIP coverage. Also, we can then just ship all our belongings to Canada and all four of us travel in our Car to Canada together without any issues at the border crossing.
Thanks

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
nazirv said:
What about the 3 month waiting period for OHIP? Does it start from the time she gets PR status or does she have to be physically residing in Canada for at least 3 months?
Thanks
OHIP 3 month waiting time starts right from the 1st day of your landing, but to apply for OHIP you need to prove that you reside in Canada permanently.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your wife has to be living in Canada while waiting for OHIP, see this:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx#2 said:
Am I still eligible for OHIP if I temporarily leave Ontario?

You may be out of the province for up to 212 days in any 12-month period and still maintain your Ontario health insurance coverage provided that you continue to make Ontario your primary place of residence.

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

* have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
* be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
* be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
* make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

If you will be out of the province for more than 212 days in any 12-month period, please refer to the Longer Absences from Ontario fact sheet.
You may actually have lost your own OHIP if you have been away too long, see http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/longer.html for information on longer absences.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
I've been living in the USA for nearly 11 consecutive years now. I still have my original OHIP card from 1999. I understand it is probably expired and will probably have to re-apply and get a new card with a new number when we move back and establish residency in Ontario.
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try if it still works but if they find out at some point that you lost your coverage in the meantime, they might ask you to refund any services you've charged to them while you should have been under your waiting period.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Ok, we are ready to move at the end of July 2011. My wife will be going for her medical examination to a DMP on May 9th and I'll be mailing in my completed application the same day to the Case Processing Center as an outland.

If we all move in July 2011 to Canada, will notifying the Mississauga office of our change of address to Canada affect the Outland application in any way? My wife will be officially "visiting" until she is approved for PR. I assume we will also need to notify the Buffalo visa office that will be processing her application once the confirm I can sponsor her?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A change of address shouldn't affect your application at all. Make sure though that you have mail forwarding set or somebody a the old address picking up mail just in case if the change of address doesn't go through.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure since my wife would still be a visitor to Canada while her application is in process with no permanent USA address. She would obviously be with us.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Our house is sold and the closing is scheduled for July 15th. We plan on shipping everything to Canada at that point and driving up in our car (which I'll be importing through RIV). The kids and I are CAN citizens, however, my wife's application will still be in process.

Do you think we'll have any issues at the border with my wife entering as visitor with us? We will, of course, be moving there permanently.

Thank you

arasheed2010

Jan 28, 2013
Wondering if you have an update? How did things go at the border? Did you just show-up at the border with a Uhaul truck? Also, did you have a Canadian passport for yourself and kids when crossing? (And presumably, American passport for spouse).

I am potentially looking to do the exact same as you.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
@
arasheed2010 said:
Wondering if you have an update? How did things go at the border? Did you just show-up at the border with a Uhaul truck? Also, did you have a Canadian passport for yourself and kids when crossing? (And presumably, American passport for spouse).

I am potentially looking to do the exact same as you.
Hi,
Yes. Everything went much smoother than I thought! The kids are dual citizens and had US passports with their Canadian citizenship cards. My wife had all her paperwork that was still in process with Canada immigration. She had her US passport. We shipped everything up separately and just took our personal belongings with us as well as the car which we imported at the same time (had to cross the Queenston/Lewiston bridge). They simply asked my wife a few questions and provided her with a Visitor Record good for one year. Within the year, her permanent residence was approved.
Good luck and if you have any further questions, let me know.