+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen entering US on Canadian NEXUS

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My child is a dual US-Canada citizen with two passports. When we applied for the NEXUS card, we showed both passports and birth certificate (born in Canada). However, when we received the NEXUS card, the primary nationality is Canadian and NEXUS only allows for one citizenship to be associated with the card.

My understanding is that if you are US citizen, then the nationality must show US to satisfy U.S. Code Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter II, Part II, § 1185 paragraph b. We got hasselled about this at the border once because the officer asked if our child was a green card holder and what visa the child would enter on. Fortunately, we always travel with the child’s passports, so we were able to show the US passport.

I guess this will be an ongoing issue. The US NEXUS officers have told us that we need to apply for a new card, which is just ridiculous because it was their mistake. Can I just continue to use the current card and carry the US passport? Am I breaking a law or any NEXUS rules by doing this?