+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dropping out after first semester. Please help.

Saniyaaa

Mar 28, 2018
Hello people.
I have a question. I am international student and I got accepted to two universities. One for fall 2018 and another for january 2019. Now, the thing is I am more interested in the second university. However, for some personal reason, I need to go to Canada this fall. Now if I accept the offer of first university and take my study permit for that university and after the first semester I drop out. Would there be any problem within the first and second university? Is it possible? Will I have to do anything like take any permission or change my study permit? Will the second university ask where was I in the first four months?
Please help me out. Thank you.

Arunveer Singh Grewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
Yes I applied for my undergrad in both universities. Not the same subject though but that can be changed.
If you accept the offer letter of first university then u will have to pay fees as well....nd second university will not wait for so long...they will cancel ur offer if you donot accept it early...due dates must be mentioned on offers

Saniyaaa

Mar 28, 2018
If you accept the offer letter of first university then u will have to pay fees as well....nd second university will not wait for so long...they will cancel ur offer if you donot accept it early...due dates must be mentioned on offers
Dates wouldn't be a problem and besides the second university is for jan 2019 so I can accept the offer later. As far as the first university is concerned, I said I would be doing the first semester there so I know I'll have to pay the first sem's fees but that's not really my question. Read the question again please.

Arunveer Singh Grewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello people.
I have a question. I am international student and I got accepted to two universities. One for fall 2018 and another for january 2019. Now, the thing is I am more interested in the second university. However, for some personal reason, I need to go to Canada this fall. Now if I accept the offer of first university and take my study permit for that university and after the first semester I drop out. Would there be any problem within the first and second university? Is it possible? Will I have to do anything like take any permission or change my study permit? Will the second university ask where was I in the first four months?
Please help me out. Thank you.
Neither you need any permission nor you will have to change your study permit. You will just have to update your institution's DLI number to the IRCC. If you have an account, you can do it from there.

Reactions: PARAM-

Arunveer Singh Grewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
Dates wouldn't be a problem and besides the second university is for jan 2019 so I can accept the offer later. As far as the first university is concerned, I said I would be doing the first semester there so I know I'll have to pay the first sem's fees but that's not really my question. Read the question again please.
Can you just tell me the due date for your second uni if u dont mind?

Arunveer Singh Grewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
What account? Could you please explain the process?
We can apply for study permit in two ways : online and offline (paper-based). In order to apply online, we need to create an account on canada's official immigration website. And in the same way, if you have applied offline, you can create an account on the same website to check your application status...there is an option in that account...update your dLI number...just click on that...you are good to go...well as ypu havent applied yet...just go for the first uni...apply for a visa...then create your account...keep that account...and after changing ur uni in canada...update ur dli no.

Arunveer Singh Grewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2018
We can apply for study permit in two ways : online and offline (paper-based). In order to apply online, we need to create an account on canada's official immigration website. And in the same way, if you have applied offline, you can create an account on the same website to check your application status...there is an option in that account...update your dLI number...just click on that...you are good to go...well as ypu havent applied yet...just go for the first uni...apply for a visa...then create your account...keep that account...and after changing ur uni in canada...update ur dli no.
Hope you understand. I am so bad at explaining lol...and its so tough to write in proper english...sorry about the short forms and informal english

Saniyaaa

Mar 28, 2018
Due date must be written on your offer letter. There must be a date on ur offer letter...fees must be paid before.........? Find something like this...
No. There is nothing like that. Maybe it's because it's for winter session. They said they would update me with other informations though.

Saniyaaa

Mar 28, 2018
That's it? I won't have to go anywhere or take any permission?