+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drop School for 3 terms, please recommend

huyypeter

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hey guys, Im asking for a brother, I finished college long ago and I was never in this situation so I have no idea how to handle it.
My little brother in law has a study permit until December 2022. However, I just found out that he dropped school from August 2020. So he skipped Fall 2020, Winter 2021 and nothing in Summer 2021 as well. As I understand, eventhough his permit has a date until December 2022, he has already lost his status as a international student in Canada because he doesnt study for more thatn 150 days. Now he is still working full-time (the employer doesnt care about 20hrs limit, or if my brother has a valid status, the employer only cares about the date on SP), but I know that my brother cant do this forever, he would need to find some way to have a legal status in Canada in order to do anything. What should his first step, please advice

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He needs to stop working. Was his study permit cancelled? If he didn’t attend school, the school is obligated to notify IRCC. He may have had it cancelled months ago a so he is working illegally in Canada with no status.

huyypeter

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
He needs to stop working. Was his study permit cancelled? If he didn’t attend school, the school is obligated to notify IRCC. He may have had it cancelled months ago a so he is working illegally in Canada with no status.
He didnt receive any notice from IRCC, but I know that his permit is theoretically cancelled

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He didnt receive any notice from IRCC, but I know that his permit is theoretically cancelled
He doesn’t have to receive a notice. He is working illegally in Canada with no status. He needs to stop working and restore his status to visitor. He can be banned. One option - He needs to get accepted to a new program and apply for a study permit. Whether he gets one due to his illegal work is another story.

huyypeter

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
He doesn’t have to receive a notice. He is working illegally in Canada with no status. He needs to stop working and restore his status to visitor. He can be banned. One option - He needs to get accepted to a new program and apply for a study permit. Whether he gets one due to his illegal work is another story.
So can he apply a new program and then apply for a study permit? I read that he cant apply for one if he doesnt have a status in Canada right (his SP was cancelled so technically he has no status). So should he apply for a visitor visa first to be able to be in Canada, then apply for new program, then new SP? please advice

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So can he apply a new program and then apply for a study permit? I read that he cant apply for one if he doesnt have a status in Canada right (his SP was cancelled so technically he has no status). So should he apply for a visitor visa first to be able to be in Canada, then apply for new program, then new SP? please advice
First he needs to stop working today. Then apply to restore his status. Experts will need to advise on what his options are. He is in trouble because of all his illegal work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/restoration-extension-trv.html