+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving with Home Country Driver's Licence in Quebec

istmtl

Nov 6, 2018
Dear friends,

I became a refugee in November 2017. As a student and refugee claimant, I had used my driver's licence from my home country before my status changed to refugee.

As a newcomer in Quebec, you can use your home country driver's licence for 6 months. I wonder if I can use my driver's licence while I'm in the process of getting Quebec driver's licence. Would be great if you can share your experiences.

Thanks a lot!

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Dear friends,

I became a refugee in November 2017. As a student and refugee claimant, I had used my driver's licence from my home country before my status changed to refugee.

As a newcomer in Quebec, you can use your home country driver's licence for 6 months. I wonder if I can use my driver's licence while I'm in the process of getting Quebec driver's licence. Would be great if you can share your experiences.

Thanks a lot!
Not every country’s driving license is acceptable to use primarily in Montreal. What is your nationality and which country is your license from?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are way past the 6 months and shouldn't be driving with your international license. You had to stop using it a year ago. Hasn't;'t your insurance company contacted you about it. You could get a ticket if stopped by the police for not having changed your license.