Waived
Passport Req..
April-04,2012
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 13, 2012
LANDED..........
28-May,2012
Hello Friends,

I have been living in USA for thep ast 5.5 years and have had driving license all along.

Is there a way to obtain Canadian Driver's license (G) with my experience in USA ?

Appreciate your help.

- Kummy

naveedpcs

May 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad ( my file did not move to uk)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 june 2013
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
1st week of july 2013
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
13 Nov,2013 , in process from : feb 5, 2015
Med's Request
18 Nov. 2015
Med's Done....
25 Nov. 2015
Interview........
Wived. Thank God
Passport Req..
18 Nov. 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Dec.16,2015 thank God
LANDED..........
15 jan. 2016 insha Allah
Hello.Your U.S.A experience will definately help you in Canada, but you should again appear for G test in Canada and if you are succeeded then you got it licence in Canada. ok. best of luck.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Which province are you in? Each province has different laws.
Do you still have a valid Us license?

I'm in Alberta so this is what I know here.
I think the US is part of the reciprocal licensing agreement with Alberta. (Not sure if this is for the whole of Canada.)

This is from the Service Alberta website:

Exchanging a valid US license:

A valid licence from the United States can be exchanged for a Class 5, 6, or 7 when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class. All other classes would require testing and applicants must provide applicable medical reports and undergo vision screening. All applicants must produce acceptable identification and proof of residency.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

Also if you are not sure at all what to do, the simplest thing is to go to your nearest registry and ask the people there. They will tell you what steps and documents you need. (Not sure if you are already in Canada.)

Goodluck!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
US licenses are accepted by all provinces for exchange so you do not have to take the test. Just go to a registry, present your license and ask if they want anything on top of that. Some provinces may ask for a drivers abstract from your state as well.

Kummy29

Aug 9, 2011
Iowa,USA
Visa Office......
Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2009
Doc's Request.
30-09-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
17-09-2010
IELTS Request
10-01-2010
File Transfer...
05-10-2011
Med's Request
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April-04,2012
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 13, 2012
LANDED..........
28-May,2012
Wonderful ! thanks for your insights guys !

I have a valid USA Driver's license and an abstract as well. I am going to get a letter from the DOT too, just to be sure. I do not want to go thru the pain of testing again :) ...

Kets81

Jul 26, 2013
Hi people,
I am coming from Oman to canada. Are any international licences valid in Canada (same like this gentleman from US), I mean will they be converted to canadian license over the counter? Any idea? Also if I bring an IDP (intl driving permit), then will the Canadians accept it?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kets81 said:
Hi people,
I am coming from Oman to canada. Are any international licences valid in Canada (same like this gentleman from US), I mean will they be converted to canadian license over the counter? Any idea? Also if I bring an IDP (intl driving permit), then will the Canadians accept it?
Very limited to the DLs that are exchangeable. Depending on the Province (check) your local license will be valid for 3 to 6 months, then you must get a Provincial DL.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you bring an IDP, it may help you drive on your home country license for longer if you are temporarily in Canada like a student for example but if you are moving to Canada, like PMM said, depending on the province, you have 2-6 months to get a Canadian license.

I am not aware of any province in Canada having a drivers license exchange agreement with Oman so that means that you will need to pass the written test and the road test in order to get a Canadian license. Some provinces want you to provide a drivers abstract which is a statement from an authority on drivers licenses in your country stating how long you have been driving and how many demerit points you have, if any. The letter would need to be in English or French. They also tend to want you to get your license translated if it's not in English or French. In some provinces, an IDP would be accepted in place of a translation.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Leon said:
If you bring an IDP, it may help you drive on your home country license for longer if you are temporarily in Canada like a student for example but if you are moving to Canada, like PMM said, depending on the province, you have 2-6 months to get a Canadian license.

I am not aware of any province in Canada having a drivers license exchange agreement with Oman so that means that you will need to pass the written test and the road test in order to get a Canadian license. Some provinces want you to provide a drivers abstract which is a statement from an authority on drivers licenses in your country stating how long you have been driving and how many demerit points you have, if any. The letter would need to be in English or French. They also tend to want you to get your license translated if it's not in English or French. In some provinces, an IDP would be accepted in place of a translation.
How much of this applies to Montreal? Will it help to bring IDP (even if native DL is in English?) Should one bring a drivers abstract of some sort to help with DL?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
So, I had exchanged my Ohio driver's license for an Ontario one. I was originally licensed when I was 16. I have insurance here in Ontario and they requested a driver's abstract and letter of experience. Well, I received my abstract from Ohio but Ohio only shows the date of most recent license renewal so it is only showing that I've been licensed since 2010 instead of 1997. I called the Ohio BMV and they do not provide any document showing the date I was originally licensed, nor do they provide any type of "letter of experience". I have talked to 5 different reps there within the last week and they all state the same thing. Is there anything that I am able to do to obtain what is needed for Ontario insurance? If I am unable to provide these documents, my insurance will go up to $2,000+ a year and I have no accidents nor tickets, nothing on my record. Can anyone suggest anything? I appreciate your help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
muffy1 said:
So, I had exchanged my Ohio driver's license for an Ontario one. I was originally licensed when I was 16. I have insurance here in Ontario and they requested a driver's abstract and letter of experience. Well, I received my abstract from Ohio but Ohio only shows the date of most recent license renewal so it is only showing that I've been licensed since 2010 instead of 1997. I called the Ohio BMV and they do not provide any document showing the date I was originally licensed, nor do they provide any type of "letter of experience". I have talked to 5 different reps there within the last week and they all state the same thing. Is there anything that I am able to do to obtain what is needed for Ontario insurance? If I am unable to provide these documents, my insurance will go up to $2,000+ a year and I have no accidents nor tickets, nothing on my record. Can anyone suggest anything? I appreciate your help!
Have you tried getting your insurance in the US to write a letter for you stating how long you were insured with them, accident free? Take that to a few insurance companies in Ontario and see if any of them are ready to give you a better rate.

jliu

Jun 14, 2013
Anyone know how to convert Germany drivers license to Ontario one? Do I have to sit for tests again in Ontario?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jliu said:
Anyone know how to convert Germany drivers license to Ontario one? Do I have to sit for tests again in Ontario?
Germany has an exchange agreement so you don't have to take a test, just simply exchange.

jliu

Jun 14, 2013
I thought can exchange also but DriveTest website says must provide translated original extract. A bit confusing but appears that I must go through G2 to G testing if my German license is less than 3 yrs old (but i got UK and Malaysia license before for many years).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jliu said:
I thought can exchange also but DriveTest website says must provide translated original extract.
Yes, in order to exchange, you need a translation of your license. Otherwise, you might as well give them your health card or library card because they don't speak German and don't know what it says.