+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving license as an international student in Ontario

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry I know not a permanent resident, but the issue is very confusing and the Ontario website is not clear on what is a resident or not and there seems to be no temporary resident forum for these type of issues.

I am on a study permit, have a full driving license from my home country (the Netherlands), nearly 6 years of experience and I have it translated with an IDP. Unfortunately it doesn't qualify for direct exchange to an Ontario G license.

For how long can I keep driving on that license or do I need to exchange it? Do I book the G2 test or the G road test?

Thanks so much!

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
Thanks, I ended up calling an employee of the ministry of transport and apparently it's sort of a gray area as technically you're a visitor and technically not.. But thanks anyway!

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
Its 2 months in Ontario but it gets invalidated once you register in MTO and can no longer be eligible to drive with foreign license.

Detailed steps are listed https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

You might need letter from issuing agency of your country to claim 2+ year of experience and be able to get one off chance for G road test. Once you are at MTO they will direct you based on what their process is. I seem to recollect people reporting different experience at different centers. You might also have to surrender your old license to MTO as you open your file.