+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving from US to Can - which border control/ entry point

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hello All,

I am a Canadian PR holder working in the US currently. I intend to make the drive from Washington State in US to Toronto, Canada in a few weeks and am gathering the documents to import my car and other to dos. I am fully vaccinated and have my vaccine card. Current driving restrictions are to have PCR negative test in last 72 hours and upon border crossing complete the 14 day quarantine. I intend to car camp/ hammock camp on the trip and want to avoid staying at hotels/ BnBs.

Option 1:
Should I get my PCR test done in Washington state and have the result within 2 days (last time my PCR test result came within 24 hours) and post the test results, then plan to cross into Canada somewhere in Washington/ Idaho/ Montana so that I still have a day to cross into Canada from where I live within that 72 hour window ? In this case any recommendations/ thoughts if Canadian border officials will allow me to cross into Canada as I don't intend to stay at any specific location (along the route to Ontario) until I reach Ontario where I intend to stay with a friend or at a hotel for the quarantine period.

Option 2:
Should I get the test and start driving across US and hopefully reach Blue Water Bridge/ Port Huron (~ 35 hours from where I live) within 3 days. I will possibly get notified of the test result en-route and hopefully the negative result will hold good. The challenge with the long drive is depending on traffic/ road conditions (construction, etc.) and how tired I might get on day 2 or 3, it will be hard to predict/ target reaching the border crossing during the 72 hour export window time. Also if for whatever reason the PCR test results do not come out in 2 or 3 days, then that's an additional complexity. The pro for this option is I can say with certainty where I will be housed/ located during the following 14 days for my quarantining and I wont have a long drive after my border crossing to get to my final quarantining location.

Overall its going to be a 36-43 hour drive and I will be good on food, essentials, etc. during the drive but not sure if there might be certain regulations to watch out for driving because of the pandemic. If anyone have insights which can help make this decision and pre-requisites that I can get done in advance, that will be of great help.

Thank you!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I would not cross into Canada before you arrive at your intended destination as your quarantine plan ("car camp/hammock") is not going to be accepted by the authorities.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Option 1 will not work unless you cross and quarantine near the crossing for 14 days. You can’t drive across Canada. You need a quarantine plan at the land border.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Looks like Option 2 is the way to go. I will have to have a couple of PCR tests done, Day 0 and then possibly Day 2 somewhere along the drive route so that I can still have latest 72 hour PCR test results at the border crossing. Also any idea if I can split the 14 day quarantine stay partially at a hotel and partially at a friend's place ?

Else would the recommendation be that I use option 1 but figure out a place to stay for 14 days close to the border crossing ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Looks like Option 2 is the way to go. I will have to have a couple of PCR tests done, Day 0 and then possibly Day 2 somewhere along the drive route so that I can still have latest 72 hour PCR test results at the border crossing. Also any idea if I can split the 14 day quarantine stay partially at a hotel and partially at a friend's place ?

Else would the recommendation be that I use option 1 but figure out a place to stay for 14 days close to the border crossing ?
14 days needs to be at a single location. If you leave, it's not quarantine.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi All,
Option 1 might be viable if I start my travel July 6th onwards. I might still go for Option 2 and make the crossing near Toronto just in case.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.