+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving around, first few weeks

cescas1989

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I'll be moving to Ontario next month as a PR. My driving license cannot be directly exchanged so it will take me a few weeks to get an Ontario one. And I understand that without the Ontario license I won't be able to even start the process of owning/leasing a car. I will drive with my country's license for the time being, but does this mean I'm stuck with a rental car?

For anyone who's immigrated to Canada already, what did you do while you didn't have a Canadian license? It's kind of difficult to get around the area where I'll be living in without a car.

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you need a Canadian license in order to buy a car. However, you can't drive around and need to quarantine for the first 2 weeks.

cescas1989

Oct 26, 2020
I don't think you need a Canadian license in order to buy a car. However, you can't drive around and need to quarantine for the first 2 weeks.
Yea I will drive after quarantine period. However, it seems I can't buy a car without an insurance, and to have insurance I need Ontario license. At least from the information I've gathered. If anyone has been able to buy or lease a car without Canadian license let me know. Thanks!