Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi everyone,
Here's my situation, hoping someone may be able to help:
- I'm a US permanent resident since 2015 and I just became Canadian permanent resident a month ago
- I've forgot to export my vehicle from US but I've started the import into Canada (received Form 1 and paid RIV fees online)
- I've just found there was a recall from my car that I wasn't aware of. The car is currently being shipped from Vancouver to Toronto where I'm relocating to.
- I essentially have dual residency, in US for immigration/tax purposes and in Canada to be with my wife and that's where I'm transferring my job to
- My wife and I may relocate back in US in the next 6mo-1yr depending on processing time of her Green Card.

My questions are:
1) Should I go back to the US border and export the vehicle? If not, what problems could I face in the future?
2) Given I have a recall, from my understanding I need to get that fixed before RIV can process my application. Since I now reside in Canada, can I get the recall done here or does it have to be done in US?
3) Could I just keep the US license plates since I'm planning to reside "temporarily" in Canada?
Just read below, you are not first, you are not last. In Canada all is about regulations, you can find instructions on every situation.

Temporarily importing vehicles
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily.html

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018

Happy2

Jan 31, 2020
Here's our 2c...

Prior to our landing, we were in Canada in temp work permits for four years. During this time, we maintained US registration on our vehicle. At one point, we tried to do the duty-free temporary import that CBSA allows for up to 36 months from the US. We went through the 72 hours US export process, only to be told by the CBSA border at the arrival booth on the Canadian side that temp imports weren't necessary. Even when informing the officer about the Canadian requirement to transfer driver licenses in 30/60 days and vehicles within 90 days of arrival, the CBSA officer refused to allow us to even go inside to secondary inspection and discuss it with them (!). We tried this twice and had the same hassle. So we dropped any further attempt to temporary import into Canada. Figured we'd wait until we landed as PR.

Then we landed July '14. We use NEXUS to frequently cross the border. Because our car is still plated in US, we have not yet updated our NEXUS records with a Canadian address. We still have a home on the US side and that is the address we maintain both our NEXUS and US auto registration. When we eventually register our car in Canada, we will update NEXUS to reflect it.

For the past year, when we cross via NEXUS into Canada, they see our US home address on their NEXUS screen and our US plates so the CBSA officers have never bothered to notice we have landed. Recently, my wife cross into Canada in the non-NEXUS lane. She was sent in to secondary to explain why we have US plates. They seemed satisfied that we are in the process of importation.

We have been slowly gathering the paperwork over the past year, doing the mods to the car. Imported the car last month through CBSA. Had the federal and provincial inspection at Canadian tire this past week. Just received an email from my US auto insurance with a claims history. I need to drive south this week to an auto dealer to get a current (within past 30 days) copy of the recall compliances and a driver history from the DMV and then will get the car finally registered in Canada this week.

Taking the year to get the car imported into Canada does not seem to have imposed any problems for us.

A quick question on this as our situation is similar. We have been in Canada for 7 years on a study and work permit. We have been approved for permanent residence . Most of our vehicles, motorcycles and a trailer have been registered in the states this whole time. Our main car has a BC license plate about a year after we moved here. We just recently got BC drivers license. My question is will we now have to pay an import fee for all our other vehicles when we cross the border to be landed with our COPR paperwork? Which we are hoping to do this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
A quick question on this as our situation is similar. We have been in Canada for 7 years on a study and work permit. We have been approved for permanent residence . Most of our vehicles, motorcycles and a trailer have been registered in the states this whole time. Our main car has a BC license plate about a year after we moved here. We just recently got BC drivers license. My question is will we now have to pay an import fee for all our other vehicles when we cross the border to be landed with our COPR paperwork? Which we are hoping to do this weekend. Thanks for the help.
If you are just going to land you are to fill out the List of Goods ( maybe List of Goods to Follow) and enter there all your things including Vehicles, Motorcycles, Trailers, etc. You are not paying any duties when you land.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
When we landed, we listed our two vehicles on the List of Goods.
They were older vehicles with a combined value of about C$20,000.
You have up to a year after you land to actually import the vehicles duty free as long as you list the vehicles on your customs document at landing. Why not? Vehicle registration and insurance is 1/3 of the price in the US.

At one point in time, I didn't have a US address I could register the vehicles. This became a potential problem since we couldn't renew our plates registered in the southern US from BC after a few years. So we had to register the vehicle either in BC or WA state.

Prior to applying for permanent residency in Canada, I learned that Canada allows a temporary import of a US vehicle for up to three years duty free so that it can be registered and plated in BC. Temporary imports also do not require Canadian safety modifications such as Daytime Running Lights and Kph speedometer. So I went to the trouble. So I went through the US vehicle export process, then drove it to the Canadian side of the border. I informed the CBSA border officer at the booth that I wanted to complete the temporary import process into Canada. He insisted that it wasn't necessary. I noted to the officer that BC requires registration within 30 days of moving to BC. Again, the CBSA officer insisted that many American residents come to Canada to work and use their US registrations in Canada indefinitely. He insisted that I did not need to import the vehicle. I asked if I could go into the arrivals hall to discuss it and he declined, directing me and my vehicle into Canada. So off I went into Canada with all my paperwork unused.

With only three days remaining in the vehicle registeration, we had to use the WA state address of a relative and move the vehicle registration from the southern US to WA state for a few years until we imported the vehicles into Canada.

I was at one point while driving in Burnaby BC stopped by a BC traffic officer on a city street. He asked where I lived. I answered that I lived in BC on a temporary work permit. The officer examined my US driver license, registration and insurance and was satisfied. He never mentioned the 30-day rule.

So we left everything as it was until about 11 months after we landed as PRs. Then moved our vehicles into BC.

The one rule we were given when we imported the vehicles is that we sold or otherwise disposed of for 12 months after import, we would be subject to the import duty.

One other point that may be of interest-- I worked in Vancouver with someone in a simliar situation. They had not yet made a PR application and undetermined if that is what he and his family wanted to do. He was driving a US plated car in BC and got in an accident. The registered address was in Bellingham. So as far as his insurance company was concerned, he lived in WA state and commuted daily to BC for work. His US insurance carrier didn't have any problem with it. It may prove to be an effective cover generally.

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
When we landed, we listed our two vehicles on the List of Goods.
They were older vehicles with a combined value of about C$20,000.
You have up to a year after you land to actually import the vehicles duty free as long as you list the vehicles on your customs document at landing. Why not? Vehicle registration and insurance is 1/3 of the price in the US.

At one
"You have up to a year after you land to actually import the vehicles duty free as long as you list the vehicles on your customs document at landing. " - Could you please point on link/document that states any time limit of importing a vehicle listed on List of Goods to Follow?

Again there is a document -"List of Goods to Follow". Where is the mention of timing to import my "furniture, clothes, boats, trailers, vehicles...." - the things listed on that List to Follow?

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
"You have up to a year after you land to actually import the vehicles duty free as long as you list the vehicles on your customs document at landing. " - Could you please point on link/document that states any time limit of importing a vehicle listed on List of Goods to Follow?

Again there is a document -"List of Goods to Follow". Where is the mention of timing to import my "furniture, clothes, boats, trailers, vehicles...." - the things listed on that List to Follow?
I can appreciate wanting to see the time limit from an official source. I still have my copy of the BSF186A that we filled out. There is no specific mention of a one year limit. I also searched cbsa-asfc.gc.ca, riv.ca, and related gc.ca sources but I couldn't find any mention of it.

The next way to find out this limit would be to just contact CBSA in advance and verify the one year limit. I landed in 2014. Hopefully the time allowance hasn't changed and contacting CBSA directly would verify that. Also I would probably think it best to make the inquriy at the intended road port of entry. Since the CBSA office at an airport, for example, would not handle vehicle importing and may not be fully up to speed with that regulation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I can appreciate wanting to see the time limit from an official source. I still have my copy of the BSF186A that we filled out. There is no specific mention of a one year limit. I also searched cbsa-asfc.gc.ca, riv.ca, and related gc.ca sources but I couldn't find any mention of it.

The next way to find out this limit would be to just contact CBSA in advance and verify the one year limit. I landed in 2014. Hopefully the time allowance hasn't changed and contacting CBSA directly would verify that. Also I would probably think it best to make the inquriy at the intended road port of entry. Since the CBSA office at an airport, for example, would not handle vehicle importing and may not be fully up to speed with that regulation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I think (and hope) there is no time limit. The CBSA can ask why someone waited long to start import. In my case, for example, I imported my spouse's car one month after she landed in the summer 2018, but still drive back and forth (to my US workplace daily ) second "her" car, which is US plated/insured (with my US DL). I cannot import the vehicle yet, since there is an active Mercedes recall (Takata airbag) and there in no remedy as of now.

If there is a time limit - it will complicate things a bit, since I'll have to transfer the Title to my name first and after that import the vehicle as myself (returning Canadian) and save just $10K from duties.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I think (and hope) there is no time limit. The CBSA can ask why someone waited long to start import. In my case, for example, I imported my spouse's car one month after she landed in the summer 2018, but still drive back and forth (to my US workplace daily ) second "her" car, which is US plated/insured (with my US DL). I cannot import the vehicle yet, since there is an active Mercedes recall (Takata airbag) and there in no remedy as of now.

If there is a time limit - it will complicate things a bit, since I'll have to transfer the Title to my name first and after that import the vehicle as myself (returning Canadian) and save just $10K from duties.
1. There is no 1 year limit for importation on goods on your GTF list, note they have to have been owned and used prior to your "landing"
2. Also, a Citizen or PR can only drive a US plated car from the Border to their place of resident and back to the border. I can't be used for transportation in Canada.

"
Terms and Conditions of Importation of Conveyances

3. A conveyance may be imported if,

• (a) the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used solely for the transportation of a resident and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada and from the specified destination to a destination outside Canada;
  • (b) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance while in Canada is to be used for the personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada to specified destinations in Canada and from a specified destination in Canada to a destination in the United States;
  • (c) in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency;
  • (d) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported for the purpose of personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons between his place of residence in Canada and a point in the United States or for the purpose of visiting clients in Canada on behalf of his employer;
  • (e) the conveyance is not to be used in Canada for the purpose of
    • (i) touring or other leisure activity,
    • (ii) carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward,
    • (iii) transporting goods for sale, or
    • (iv) soliciting sales or subscriptions on behalf of an employer who operates a business in Canada;

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
Hello Guys,
I had moved to canada on a PR in Jan 2020. I am currently renting a car and driving in Ontario. Does my US insurance cover the rental ? As per my insurance they said i can use the insurance in Canada for Rental cars. However im still unsure about the rules in Ontario .
Any suggestions ?

ohCanadaisy

Jul 17, 2020
Good afternoon all! Thank you so much in advance for this super helpful thread and any advice you can offer!

I have a strange situation that I was hoping I could get some help with. My husband is a Canadian Citizen, I'm an US Citizen. I accompanied him over the border in my US Registered/Plated car last December. I decided to apply for PR which was submitted in April, and he applied for a Greencard at the same time. Our plan is for me to become a Canadian Citizen (we'll be in Canada for the next ~3 years) and once he gets his Greencard and we've saved up enough, we will move back to the US for the foreseeable future.

We came in a 2008 Hyundai Sonata which has 185,000 km's on it, is 100% paid off, and runs like a dream. The catch is that it was technically totaled 3 years ago when two separate cars slid on black ice and damaged all four panels of the left side. We've taken care of it and drive pretty infrequently (we work from home) so it will likely run for another ~5 years without any major repairs. Other than the 4-panel damage on the left side, it's in good condition, but because it's older and totaled it probably wouldn't sell for more than $1500 CAD and we would have to sell it in the US (which my husband can't legally enter, and I can't legally come back into Canada because of my pending PR)! So it's worth much more to use as a working vehicle while we are saving up for our first house. We would like to drive it into the ground, and THEN buy another vehicle!

The issue, as you can see here is that it seems we will need to import it once I get PR and I discovered recently that it is not admissable without heavy modifications. It doesn't have Daytime Running Lights, an Immobilizer, or an Odometer in km. Between importation fees and all of the modifications, it would likely cost $3,000 CAD just to get it imported. On top of that, we would just need to export it again when we leave in another year or so. The other problem is that the kind person I spoke to at the Hyundai dealership actually called around and discovered that she can't even get the US parts that they will need to make it able to import. She was of the opinion that since we are planning to leave Canada again after a few years that we should go back home to register it every year, but I'm nervous about that interfering with my desire to eventually apply for citizenship.

I'm not sure what my options can possibly be at this point, any help would be appreciated!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Good afternoon all! Thank you so much in advance for this super helpful thread and any advice you can offer!

I have a strange situation that I was hoping I could get some help with. My husband is a Canadian Citizen, I'm an US Citizen. I accompanied him over the border in my US Registered/Plated car last December. I decided to apply for PR which was submitted in April, and he applied for a Greencard at the same time. Our plan is for me to become a Canadian Citizen (we'll be in Canada for the next ~3 years) and once he gets his Greencard and we've saved up enough, we will move back to the US for the foreseeable future.

We came in a 2008 Hyundai Sonata which has 185,000 km's on it, is 100% paid off, and runs like a dream. The catch is that it was technically totaled 3 years ago when two separate cars slid on black ice and damaged all four panels of the left side. We've taken care of it and drive pretty infrequently (we work from home) so it will likely run for another ~5 years without any major repairs. Other than the 4-panel damage on the left side, it's in good condition, but because it's older and totaled it probably wouldn't sell for more than $1500 CAD and we would have to sell it in the US (which my husband can't legally enter, and I can't legally come back into Canada because of my pending PR)! So it's worth much more to use as a working vehicle while we are saving up for our first house. We would like to drive it into the ground, and THEN buy another vehicle!

The issue, as you can see here is that it seems we will need to import it once I get PR and I discovered recently that it is not admissable without heavy modifications. It doesn't have Daytime Running Lights, an Immobilizer, or an Odometer in km. Between importation fees and all of the modifications, it would likely cost $3,000 CAD just to get it imported. On top of that, we would just need to export it again when we leave in another year or so. The other problem is that the kind person I spoke to at the Hyundai dealership actually called around and discovered that she can't even get the US parts that they will need to make it able to import. She was of the opinion that since we are planning to leave Canada again after a few years that we should go back home to register it every year, but I'm nervous about that interfering with my desire to eventually apply for citizenship.

I'm not sure what my options can possibly be at this point, any help would be appreciated!
As a person who imported two Mercedeses ( second one last week) my opinion is biased, but come one, it's too much trouble for totaled 2008 Hyundai with selling price ~$1,500CAD ($1,100US). Again, "runs like a dream" until you get another fresh car. I see a few Michigan plated cars here in Windsor, ON with already expired stickers. Until we have this virus around it's OK, police has blind eye, I would just keep US insurance active.

I think you are already answered your question - $1500CAD worth vehicle with $3000CAD modification.

ohCanadaisy

Jul 17, 2020
Thank you so much for your quick response, Alex! Holy smokes, I can't imagine how much trouble you went through to import two cars! You're right, I suppose I do have my answer. I definitely don't want to import that car! But now I have a few other questions I've been struggling to get answers to in order to make sure we're doing everything above board! I failed in my previous post to mention that we are simply living with my husband's parents for a few years while his Greencard is being processed. So my actual residence is and will continue to be an address in the US.

1) As long as I have up to date US Registration and Insurance and do not have a residence in Canada, am I legally able to drive my US car for the next 2-3 years in Ontario even if it has not been temporarily or permanently imported? Will doing so endanger my PR or potential Citizenship applications in the future? Or would I possibly have trouble with the authorities if my car is in an accident?

2) I'm able to register my car online! Do we need to leave the country with the vehicle every year and re-enter to make sure it's in the country legally?

3) My husband is a Canadian citizen. Based on some posts I've read, if I write a notarized letter authorizing him to drive my car while here in Canada will he be able to legally operate it without me present?

Thank you so much for all your help! I've spent the last week calling around, reading articles, and trying to get answers. COVID is making it hard to get much done... So I'm grateful for the internet. :D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Thank you so much for your quick response, Alex! Holy smokes, I can't imagine how much trouble you went through to import two cars! You're right, I suppose I do have my answer. I definitely don't want to import that car! But now I have a few other questions I've been struggling to get answers to in order to make sure we're doing everything above board! I failed in my previous post to mention that we are simply living with my husband's parents for a few years while his Greencard is being processed. So my actual residence is and will continue to be an address in the US.

1) As long as I have up to date US Registration and Insurance and do not have a residence in Canada, am I legally able to drive my US car for the next 2-3 years in Ontario even if it has not been temporarily or permanently imported? Will doing so endanger my PR or potential Citizenship applications in the future? Or would I possibly have trouble with the authorities if my car is in an accident?

2) I'm able to register my car online! Do we need to leave the country with the vehicle every year and re-enter to make sure it's in the country legally?

3) My husband is a Canadian citizen. Based on some posts I've read, if I write a notarized letter authorizing him to drive my car while here in Canada will he be able to legally operate it without me present?

Thank you so much for all your help! I've spent the last week calling around, reading articles, and trying to get answers. COVID is making it hard to get much done... So I'm grateful for the internet. :D
1. No he can't drive it.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
HI

1. No he can't drive it.
Agree, he can't drive the vehicle.

You can renew registration online and even somebody with US address can forward the renewal sticker to you. The US insurance - this is between you and your insurance company, but I think you will not be covered in case of accident. The short visit to Canada is one thing, but garage the US plated vehicle in Canada for long time is other thing. Even COVID-19 situation could not be excusable. I see here in Windsor US plated car with expired MI sticker, but that person looks like commute to MI from Ontario daily.

I do not think this issue affect your PR and future Citizenship processing.

As far as Canadian police - they will ask where do you live and it could be an issue.