+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving a car to Canada that I still owe

thatrats

Oct 4, 2012
Good day, forum members

I am considering driving my car from the US to Manitoba in the next few weeks. I still have a lien on it. I would like to avoid selling it if I can. I may not be able to pay it off before I leave. Does anyone has experience driving a car that still has US registration? How long can one do so? My insurance company (progressive) has agreed to continue comprehensive coverage in Canada, just don't know how long they'd do it. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

T.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
thatrats said:
Good day, forum members

I am considering driving my car from the US to Manitoba in the next few weeks. I still have a lien on it. I would like to avoid selling it if I can. I may not be able to pay it off before I leave. Does anyone has experience driving a car that still has US registration? How long can one do so? My insurance company (progressive) has agreed to continue comprehensive coverage in Canada, just don't know how long they'd do it. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

T.
I believe that you will have to go through formal importation procedures, which are, to say the least, "difficult". Also, because you have a lien on the vehicle, you may not legally have the right to export it until the lien is paid off.

I suggest that you contact the lien holder first to find out what they say, then contact CBP and CBSA to find out the exact procedure. Reading around this forum and Google, I get the feeling that as a Canadian resident, you will find yourself in deep problems if you try to bypass this process.

thatrats

Oct 4, 2012
Thank you, Zardoz. I appreciate your prompt response. Seems that I have to carefully look into it. I will follow up as suggested, and if any lesson learned, I will share with the members.

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
June 4, 2013 extended until May1, 2015!!!
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
thatrats said:
Thank you, Zardoz. I appreciate your prompt response. Seems that I have to carefully look into it. I will follow up as suggested, and if any lesson learned, I will share with the members.
Have you found any information? I may be in the same situation. I think since the bank technically owns it you can not import it, but as long as it is insured you should be able to drive it just like you do for a normal visit. But that's just my thoughts.