+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver's License

dread

Sep 5, 2008
Hi everybody,

Wanted some advice on driver's license aspect, in Canada, considering the following:

1. I reside in India and have just completed a 22 day training program, learning to drive a car.
2. I have, what is known in India, as a learner's license, which has certain restrictions.
3. I do not own a car.
4. Does it make sense for me to get a permanent driver's license, will it be of any advantage considering i would have had the license for less than 6 months.
5. Would it be better for me to just start from scratch, in Ontario, considering that there are a lot of differences in the rules & regulations and also in the very vehicles that we would drive.

Any advice in this regard would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd really start from scratch here but may be you want to read this and make a decision of your own: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

Good luck!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With a brand new license, you still have to do the waiting period between learners and first probationary license. The waiting period is 12 months but you may subtract the time you have had your license. You can also cut the waiting period down to 8 months by attending a driving school in ON so you might as well do that.

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say start over from scratch.

Driving in India is quite different than driving in Ontario. ;)