+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver's License in Ontario with Indian DL and letter from RTO

FrenchFries29

Aug 9, 2019
Did anyone had a name mismatch between the DL extract and passport? My DL only has my initials, and my passport has my initial expanded. Would the Transport ministry accept those DL & extracts?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Did anyone had a name mismatch between the DL extract and passport? My DL only has my initials, and my passport has my initial expanded. Would the Transport ministry accept those DL & extracts?
Folks have reported missed success on these forums. Some folks were returned back with no success at all and others got away with no explanation when the name changes were straightforward (for ex expansion of acronyms).

Suggest getting a name change affidavit notified from India and hope it convinced officer in drivetest.

On the flip side, in Ontario, you can still self declare an year of experience and apply for g2 test without wait. Abstract is only needed to give g and many folks drive on g2 for several years with no issues. Only limitations are in terms of kids allowed and zero alcohol

Nitin_India

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Please check rules, I believe it is not allowed for visitors to apply for license. You can drive on your home country license/international permit
Ok. Right now i am in Canada on Tourist Visa , so i am thinking to apply G1 test .

Also i will submit my Spouse Visa from outside Canada.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Ok. Right now i am in Canada on Tourist Visa , so i am thinking to apply G1 test .

Also i will submit my Spouse Visa from outside Canada.
I think you missed what I said. I am saying afaik a person on visitor Visa cannot get a Canadian driving license. You are expected to use your home country license with idp beyond 3 months.

@luckydodo

Oct 9, 2019
Folks have reported missed success on these forums. Some folks were returned back with no success at all and others got away with no explanation when the name changes were straightforward (for ex expansion of acronyms).

Suggest getting a name change affidavit notified from India and hope it convinced officer in drivetest.

On the flip side, in Ontario, you can still self declare an year of experience and apply for g2 test without wait. Abstract is only needed to give g and many folks drive on g2 for several years with no issues. Only limitations are in terms of kids allowed and zero alcohol
Hi
I’m having the same issue . My surname on license is different and it’s different in passport. Also I already have the extract but I just want to know that do they see our passport while applying . Bcoz if they do than I should change my name on license and get a new extract from there . Please help me out

jd2122

Jul 13, 2020
Hi Guys,

Need help regarding how to get a DL in Ontario.

I have my Indian DL extract, but my DL is in a bad condition (laminated, torn, and also my Indian DL is old one not with chip).

Do Service Ontario ask for my Indian DL for my experience to count or just the DL extract will work?

Thanks in advance.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi Guys,

Need help regarding how to get a DL in Ontario.

I have my Indian DL extract, but my DL is in a bad condition (laminated, torn, and also my Indian DL is old one not with chip).

Do Service Ontario ask for my Indian DL for my experience to count or just the DL extract will work?

Thanks in advance.
Yes license is needed in original