Driver's license exchange BC

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok so if I leave bc for few years and come back will it change or still I will be at same as in 2016
Thanks
It doesn't matter how long you are gone. If you hold a learner's license, ICBC is not going to give you a Class 5 license.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I also have some driver's license related issues. I have a Swiss license (eligible for a direct swap with Canadian license) but the problem is I've had it for less than 2 years required for direct exchange (it will be two years in September, 2018) and intend to land in May (4 months shy). My questions are:
1. After landing, can I just run down the clock till September since I don't anticipate much driving anyways?
2. Ontario (my prospective province) has a two months rule on exchange. Does that mean if I don't exchange within the 2 months timeframe, I'd have to go through the whole process again?
3. If I can't just run down the clock as in 2, can I leave and re-enter Canada just to start the 2 months countdown afresh?
4. Regarding the 2 months rule, when are you deemed to have established permanent residency for licensing rules?

My apologies for the long questions and thanks for your answers.
I suggest you contact Ontario licensing.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Hi everyone,

I also have some driver's license related issues. I have a Swiss license (eligible for a direct swap with Canadian license) but the problem is I've had it for less than 2 years required for direct exchange (it will be two years in September, 2018) and intend to land in May (4 months shy). My questions are:
1. After landing, can I just run down the clock till September since I don't anticipate much driving anyways?
2. Ontario (my prospective province) has a two months rule on exchange. Does that mean if I don't exchange within the 2 months timeframe, I'd have to go through the whole process again?
3. If I can't just run down the clock as in 2, can I leave and re-enter Canada just to start the 2 months countdown afresh?
4. Regarding the 2 months rule, when are you deemed to have established permanent residency for licensing rules?

My apologies for the long questions and thanks for your answers.
There is no hard and fast rule, but I know somebody who did just that.

He had a US license that was about 6 to 9 months away from being 2 year old, and since he didn't plan to drive at all (and he really didn't drive during those months), he decided to just let it age to 2 year old, then swap it with a full G Ontario license (without any examination).

Again, there is no hard and fast rule, so I cannot really comment on its legality (my guess is, it's probably not going to be a big deal, but I'm not an expert), just an observation.

Since you're planning to land in May, is it possible to postpone, to say, July or something? Or are you planning a 'soft' landing?

If you want to be completely safe, you can land in May, then leave the country, and then come back within 2 months of the 2 year anniversary of your license.

That way, you would be able to swap your license within 3 months of assuming residency in Ontario, and at the same time, claim over 2 years of experience.

Again, as I said, so long you're not planning to drive, then it should not be a big deal, but I need to always add a caveat

EDIT: the rule is 60 days instead of 3 months

When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.

To get a full licence, you need to meet certain requirements. The process depends on:

• how long you have been driving
  • where you were licensed before
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

The rule reads to me that, if you want to use your foreign license to drive in ON, you can only do so within 60 days of assuming Ontario residency, else you would need to swap to ON license.

So I guess so long you stop driving after 60 days (or simply do not drive at all), then it should be okay, but that's just how I (a non-expert) interpret the rule, so as always, a caveat.

Last edited:

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
I suggest you contact Ontario licensing.
Thanks @canuck_in_uk. Whenever I contact them, the person on the other side of the line just parrots what I've read on their website back to me and it doesn't really help my peculiar situation. Hence, I've decided to ask here where people have had practical experiences with such.

There is no hard and fast rule, but I know somebody who did just that.

He had a US license that was about 6 to 9 months away from being 2 year old, and since he didn't plan to drive at all (and he really didn't drive during those months), he decided to just let it age to 2 year old, then swap it with a full G Ontario license (without any examination).

Again, there is no hard and fast rule, so I cannot really comment on its legality (my guess is, it's probably not going to be a big deal, but I'm not an expert), just an observation.

Since you're planning to land in May, is it possible to postpone, to say, July or something? Or are you planning a 'soft' landing?

If you want to be completely safe, you can land in May, then leave the country, and then come back within 2 months of the 2 year anniversary of your license.

That way, you would be able to swap your license within 3 months of assuming residency in Ontario, and at the same time, claim over 2 years of experience.

Again, as I said, so long you're not planning to drive, then it should not be a big deal, but I need to always add a caveat

EDIT: the rule is 60 days instead of 3 months

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

The rule reads to me that, if you want to use your foreign license to drive in ON, you can only do so within 60 days of assuming Ontario residency, else you would need to swap to ON license.

So I guess so long you stop driving after 60 days (or simply do not drive at all), then it should be okay, but that's just how I (a non-expert) interpret the rule, so as always, a caveat.
Thanks so much @meyakanor. This is the kinda of practical perspectives that I seek and i truly appreciate your response. Please if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did your friend do this?

That was also my literal, non-expert interpretation of that rule as well but I don't want to end up "penny wise, pound foolish" so I'm trying to get all my bases covered.

Unfortunately, I can't extend my landing date as my medicals will expire in May. I'm planning a permanent landing.

Thanks again to the both of you.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Thanks @canuck_in_uk. Whenever I contact them, the person on the other side of the line just parrots what I've read on their website back to me and it doesn't really help my peculiar situation. Hence, I've decided to ask here where people have had practical experiences with such.

Thanks so much @meyakanor. This is the kinda of practical perspectives that I seek and i truly appreciate your response. Please if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did your friend do this?

That was also my literal, non-expert interpretation of that rule as well but I don't want to end up "penny wise, pound foolish" so I'm trying to get all my bases covered.

Unfortunately, I can't extend my landing date as my medicals will expire in May. I'm planning a permanent landing.

Thanks again to the both of you.
He did this back in 2014, but I'm pretty sure you can still do this nowadays (Ontario has the most lenient driver licensing rules of all the provinces and territories).

Make sure though you do not drive at all after 60 days (as that is the only part of the rule that is not ambiguous, that you cannot drive after 60 days of assuming residency, unless you switch to Ontario license).

If confronted, you can always say that you haven't needed to drive until then (which would be true if you truly do not drive in the interim).

You would also need to figure out your ID situation at least until you get your PR card though (which would takes about 90 days nowadays), since driver's license is a government ID in Canada.

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
He did this back in 2014, but I'm pretty sure you can still do this nowadays (Ontario has the most lenient driver licensing rules of all the provinces and territories).

Make sure though you do not drive at all after 60 days (as that is the only part of the rule that is not ambiguous, that you cannot drive after 60 days of assuming residency, unless you switch to Ontario license).

If confronted, you can always say that you haven't needed to drive until then (which would be true if you truly do not drive in the interim).

You would also need to figure out your ID situation at least until you get your PR card though (which would takes about 90 days nowadays), since driver's license is a government ID in Canada.
Thanks again.

I don't intend to drive within my first three months in Canada. The last time I visited Toronto, the public transport seemed decent enough and I intend to use that till I feel settled enough to get into the hassles of getting a car.

Sorry, I don't get your last point regarding ID. I'm intending to use my passport and certificate of landing for most of the services like banking, telecoms, health insurance etc. For most of the basic services like the afore-mentioned, I read passport and COPR is sufficient. Do you anticipate I might have a problem on this end?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Thanks again.

I don't intend to drive within my first three months in Canada. The last time I visited Toronto, the public transport seemed decent enough and I intend to use that till I feel settled enough to get into the hassles of getting a car.

Sorry, I don't get your last point regarding ID. I'm intending to use my passport and certificate of landing for most of the services like banking, telecoms, health insurance etc. For most of the basic services like the afore-mentioned, I read passport and COPR is sufficient. Do you anticipate I might have a problem on this end?
I see. So if you're planning to carry around passport + CoPR everywhere anyway, then it should not be an issue. You should also be able to get OHIP immediately (though it's probably wiser to get a private insurance if it's possible and if you can afford it until within 2 months of the 2 year mark of your license; but again, I'm not an expert). Oh, and plan not to drive until you actually get the (temporary) G license on your hand :)

Rohit raheja

Jan 12, 2018
I have not taken any action. I went to ICBC office and told them that the license is original and chcek it from the indian authorities or do some chcek , how can you guys say that the license is fraud. ICBC does not know how to check it. They are just saying its a fraud license without any proof. I have no idea what to do now. I talk to some lawyers they said that nothing cant be done.
Why nothing cant be done, my license is 100% original. I think we need to contact an Indian lawyer in Surrey. Indian lawyer in surrey would know all the hacks now what to do. Fed up of ICBC systems.
And do let me know what did you guys do.

AMAN preet 2

Aug 22, 2019
i have 2 indian licence 7 year old and one 2year7mnth old .. i submite my 7 year old licence ..but icbc letter me this is fake .. now wht can i do .. can i submited my second licence or not.. its legal ?

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
A quick update incase it helps someone.

I did exactly as Meyakanor advised above. I landed permanently in October 2018 and let my Swiss license age to 2 years in February 2019. I went to a drive test centre and exchanged it for an Ontario license (paid $90). It was really very easy.

I hope it helps someone.