+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

drivers licence as ID for citizenship application (address on it is no longer mine)

1nth3m00d4f00d

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Hi all,

I am wondering if I can still use my drivers licence as a form of ID for my citizenship application.... it has not expired but the address is old... i moved like 3 years ago and havent updated my licence ... but I no longer drive so I still use my card for ID in Canada.

Will it be a problem if they see that my current address and my drivers licence address do not match?

I have an Alberta Health card but the document checklist stipulates that acceptable ID must have a photo.. Alberta health cards do not have a photo.

thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am wondering if I can still use my drivers licence as a form of ID for my citizenship application.... it has not expired but the address is old... i moved like 3 years ago and havent updated my licence ... but I no longer drive so I still use my card for ID in Canada.

Will it be a problem if they see that my current address and my drivers licence address do not match?

I have an Alberta Health card but the document checklist stipulates that acceptable ID must have a photo.. Alberta health cards do not have a photo.

thanks!
You should have updated your address a long time ago. ID is used to locate your family in emergency situations and all your IDs should have the same address.

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
So the ID won't be accepted as proof of who I am?
Not accepted..

Deadline for updating your address (Ontario)
From the time your address changes you must, by law, update your:

• driver’s licence and vehicle permit (the green ownership document) within 6 days
  • health card within 30 days

OksanaM

Star Member
Mar 28, 2016
Really? they will not accept it ?
I sent my DL as ID with my previous address, as I moved recently.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really? they will not accept it ?
I sent my DL as ID with my previous address, as I moved recently.
Is there any benefit keeping the previous address? I'd update the address on driver's license and inform IRCC the change.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Is there any benefit keeping the previous address? I'd update the address on driver's license and inform IRCC the change.
Easy and quick to change, and having it wrong may well invalidate any auto insurance plus you could be fined for not changing within the 6 days let alone 3 years! Also ticket etc could be sent to the wrong address.