+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver’s Licence in Canada

Marri8

Jul 14, 2019
hello, everyone. I have a question regarding DL in Canada (Alberta). I’ve read that all provinces in Canada offer to exchange your current DL to Canadian one (either with or without tests). I know that if you want to obtain a DL in Alberta, you can fill an application for GDL exemption, and get your Canadian DL easy. But in this case you should surrender all your current DL and never get them back.
I just wonder, is there any way to get a Canadian DL WITHOUT surrendering my current DL? If I choose to obtain a DL in Canada without GDL exemption, like I don’t have any DLs, can I get a new one in Canada? I mean, is this illegal not to show my current DL while getting a Canadian DL?
Thank you in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hello, everyone. I have a question regarding DL in Canada (Alberta). I’ve read that all provinces in Canada offer to exchange your current DL to Canadian one (either with or without tests). I know that if you want to obtain a DL in Alberta, you can fill an application for GDL exemption, and get your Canadian DL easy. But in this case you should surrender all your current DL and never get them back.
I just wonder, is there any way to get a Canadian DL WITHOUT surrendering my current DL? If I choose to obtain a DL in Canada without GDL exemption, like I don’t have any DLs, can I get a new one in Canada? I mean, is this illegal not to show my current DL while getting a Canadian DL?
Thank you in advance.
Yes, it is illegal. You must surrender your other license.

Reactions: Marri8

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you! I must surrender even if I want to go through the whole process of obtaining Canada DL? I mean if I start with lerner’s Permit and so on?
Yes. You are not allowed to hold licenses from multiple jurisdictions.