+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dress code for citizenship test interview

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

Is there a dress code for the citizenship test interview? Do you wear suit or business casual? Thanks for your input.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Panda_Bear said:
Hello everyone,

Is there a dress code for the citizenship test interview? Do you wear suit or business casual? Thanks for your input.
There is no dress code for test/interview. However, if you wear decent clothes, it will make good impression.

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
I understand that there is no official/published dress code... but what do most people wear? When I had my immigration interview at the embassy many years ago overseas, everyone waiting was wearing suit and tie... it was all very formal (which I think is appropriate due to the importance of the situation)...

Please, let me know what most people wear? Suit or just pants with a shirt and sweater?

Thank you

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Panda_Bear said:
I understand that there is no official/published dress code... but what do most people wear? When I had my immigration interview at the embassy many years ago overseas, everyone waiting was wearing suit and tie... it was all very formal (which I think is appropriate due to the importance of the situation)...

Please, let me know what most people wear? Suit or just pants with a shirt and sweater?

Thank you
When i went for the test/interview not everyone was wearing a suit. Some people were wearing formals and some were wearing business casuals and some were wearing casuals. I think i went wearing formals however on the day of oath I wore suit

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I wore a suit (it was an important day for me). But not everyone did. Some people dressed very casually (jeans, t-shirt and sneakers). Most of the casual dressers were kids/teens who didn't really care. If you want CIC to take your picture (assuming you gave permission) so they can add you to their promotional material/video, then dress up. CIC also encourages formal traditional outfits of your home county.

Mississauga123

Nov 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In 2011, when I went in for my test in the Mississauga Erin Mills office, there was this tall Eastern European woman, in late thirties. She was wearing high heels, and a very short dress, very low cut, that pretty much showed everything.

No one blinked or said anything to her, she wrote her test, gave her interview. I spoke to her for one minute afterwards when we were leaving, and she said the interview went great.

If you can wear that, then you can wear anything you want.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I wore jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. (test)

I wore a dress because of the picture taking. (oath) ;D

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Panda_Bear said:
Hello everyone,

I don't know if you have had your test or interview yet but I wouldn't be too concerned. They say 'interview' but its not like a job interview where you sit at a table and have a lengthy conversation. Its just standing at a booth when they call your name out and they flick through the application and ask if you have ever been arrested. They check your ID to make sure its you and that is more or less it, a couple of minutes at most. Still a smart casual appearance would be best for this situation. I saw someone come in wearing a full suit and formal business attire. Also saw someone wearing trainers and sweatpants. I wore pants, shoes and a smart shirt.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
just don't show up in pyjamas or night suits, lol.

It is an important phase in your process, so dress decently, business casual is good enough.
No need for ties and suits really, its not a job interview.

But you'd wanna make a good impression and show tht you take it seriously enough to not show up in pj's

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Panda_Bear said:

Thank you
I wore jeans, blouse and boots. I needed be to comfortable as I need to be able to think during the test and interview. ;D ;D

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I’m sure there’s no dress code. But I would definitely suggest you chose a formal attire amap. I would chose for me a suit and a blouse. If you don’t have the appropriate clothes in your wardrobe you can buy them online asap. But if it’s not your style don’t give all your money on this stuff. Buy online with discount codes. I recently had a delivery with stuff bought with the help coupon ninja. And even though I thought that not everything will fit, clothes were of good quality. I was happy about how it turned out in the end. And btw, good luck on interview and don’t forget that clothes will also make an impression on those interviewing you so look good.
That was a post in 2017 you replied to