+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

gosatyasree

Sep 14, 2017
Hyderabad
Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.
Hi Qorax,

I would be traveling to Toronto via Montreal, Quebec.
Where would the immigration formalities be happening?
I only have a 3 hour layover in Montreal. Would that be enough to finish the formalities?
Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

eshashank

Dec 4, 2017
Hi Qorax,
Saw your posts dated 2010.. so thought of asking again..
in my PR application, Toronto was mentioned as port of entry, however, I would like to come to Vancouver.. so I guess its alright as per your previous posts.. same thing holds true now too..
Thanks in advance !!

Jonudcastro

Feb 2, 2018
Hi friends,

My name is Luder. I am a Nova Scotia provincial nominee with PR visa issued just few days ago. I am planning to book airline tickets as early as possible to get better price. I am traveling from New Delhi, India.

I was able to find a great deal from one of the online agents. But the problem is this. I will reach Toronto first before Nova Scotia. I know that I can land in any province (except Quebec) before going to my destination province mentioned in my CoPR. But the transit time is 2 hours only from Toronto to Nova Scotia. My question is whether or not 2 hours is sufficient for immigration formalities, baggage collection (don't know if airline will do it or I'll have to collect and re-check in!), travel from International to domestic terminal (if needed) etc. I have planned to travel with my family; myself, my wife and two kids 7 and 3!

Please share your experience, if you've had something similar and your valuable advice/suggestion.

Thank you,

Luder
Hi Luder,
Am assuming that you are already in Nova Scotia, could u share your experience on your landing formalities in Toronto. Did u have to collect baggage and recheck them in again? Please advise. Also could u guide on accommodation arrangements. Could refer place or people who could accommodate us, we will be moving there (spouse and 4yr old child) have no friends or family in Halifax, Nova scotia. Any information you give will be very helpful for us and you know how tough it will be sellings down with a child.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Qorax,

I only have a 3 hour layover in Montreal. Would that be enough to finish the formalities?
Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.
It will be completed in your first port of entry into Canada, irrespective of where your final destination is.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Qorax,
Saw your posts dated 2010.. so thought of asking again..
in my PR application, Toronto was mentioned as port of entry, however, I would like to come to Vancouver.. so I guess its alright as per your previous posts.. same thing holds true now too..
Thanks in advance !!
Yes you still can (as of 2018).

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
Hi Qorax,

Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.
hi,
have you landed already ? am in a similar situation. My first POE will be montreal and three hours later another flight to calgary.
Did you experience any problem landing in Montreal?
Was the 3 hours lay over enough for the landing proceedures?
Was your flight to toronto from domestic terminal?
Your advise shall be of great help. I am travelling with my wife who is 6 months pregnant by then. So need to plan ahead to aavoid any fuss.
Thanks.

Reactions: qorax
Jan 27, 2018
I have an urgent query regarding PR landing formalities in Canada. I will be migrating very shortly as a FSW and I have booked my flights to Toronto with transit in Montreal.
However, I do not have a CSQ and I do not intend to stay in Montreal (Quebec). Also, I have a connecting flight to Toronto in under 2 hours. Is this permitted or will I have any issues at the first PoE (Montreal)?
Sorry, if you are unable to help me with this query.... It would be great if you can route me to the relevant contact.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I have an urgent query regarding PR landing formalities in Canada. I will be migrating very shortly as a FSW and I have booked my flights to Toronto with transit in Montreal.
However, I do not have a CSQ and I do not intend to stay in Montreal (Quebec). Also, I have a connecting flight to Toronto in under 2 hours. Is this permitted or will I have any issues at the first PoE (Montreal)?
Sorry, if you are unable to help me with this query.... It would be great if you can route me to the relevant contact.
No problem to transit through Montreal with onward travel to Toronto. However given you will complete immigration and customs for your PR landing at Montreal a 2 hour connection is probably too short and is recommended to allow 3-4 hours. Could be less of course just depends how many people are passing through immigration and landing at same time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

It's a relief !!!
Keep in mind a less than 2 hour connection time might be too short to collect your luggage complete a PR landing and customs formalities before dropping luggage off at a connections desk for your Toronto flight. You could be lucky and make it but maybe not.

Jan 27, 2018
Keep in mind a less than 2 hour connection time might be too short to collect your luggage complete a PR landing and customs formalities before dropping luggage off at a connections desk for your Toronto flight. You could be lucky and make it but maybe not.
Yes noted buddy. Thanks so much. Since I have already booked tickets and travelling tomorrow, there's nothing much I can do at this point.
Will have to take up the risk and take up another flight to go to Toronto.

mphilip1988

May 16, 2018
Hi Qorax,

Hope you will answer my query. Iam planning to enter in Alberta province as Poe and give a Toronto address(my cousins address) for PR card delivery. Will they accept a Toronto address in Alberta province airport. As I will leave Canada in two week time after entry and plan to return after 6-8 months.

Jul 20, 2018
Hello,
I applied under PNP so my destination province is Manitona however I got job in Montreal.
Please suggest how to proceed with landing formalities.
Will it work if I land in Montreal and tell immigration offices that I got job here and show them the joining letter?

ashk

Apr 14, 2018
Hello,
I applied under PNP so my destination province is Manitona however I got job in Montreal.
Please suggest how to proceed with landing formalities.
Will it work if I land in Montreal and tell immigration offices that I got job here and show them the joining letter?
Hello, Since you applied under pnp, you must land in destination province. After landing you can move to Montreal.

Jul 20, 2018
Hello, Since you applied under pnp, you must land in destination province. After landing you can move to Montreal.
Thanks for your reply,
We do not have any direct flight to Montreal from Delhi. Direct flight is either to Vancouver or to Toronto.
Please suggest....