+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubts Applying for PR

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Hi Guys -

I want to apply for PR. I have passed the language proficiency exam and also got my Police Clearance certificate. However, i have some doubts about the application :

1) I did not get the employment letter from my employer but got the letter from my client(with roles and responsibilities). I do have one letter from my employer but it states that the letter is specifically for the Visa Application. What are my options??

2)My payslips have a different residence address than the one on my T4, will it be a problem??

3)My role on the two work permits(after extension) are different and the role in the latest of them is ETL Developer for which there is no NOC code(though it falls under Software Developer i believe). Should i put my role as "Software(ETL) Developer" in the application??

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sg33 said:
Hi Guys -

I want to apply for PR. I have passed the language proficiency exam and also got my Police Clearance certificate. However, i have some doubts about the application :

1) I did not get the employment letter from my employer but got the letter from my client(with roles and responsibilities). I do have one letter from my employer but it states that the letter is specifically for the Visa Application. What are my options??

Try to get an updated letter from your employer.

2)My payslips have a different residence address than the one on my T4, will it be a problem??

That's fine. As long as you mention all the addresses in the form where you have to list previous addresses.

3)My role on the two work permits(after extension) are different and the role in the latest of them is ETL Developer for which there is no NOC code(though it falls under Software Developer i believe). Should i put my role as "Software(ETL) Developer" in the application??

For the positions put the title on your WP in. And apply under the NOC that's closest to your actual duties you perform.

See comments in red above.

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply Toby :

My Employer won't give the PR letter. I am thinking of submitting the following documents though:

Employer Letter containing my salary details
My secondment letter
Client Letter containing my roles and responsiblities
Tax slips
Pay Slips
Salary Change Letter
Work Authorization Document

Will this work??

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sg33 said:
Will this work??
That's up to the VO to accept the documents as proof of work
experience or not.
I can't say if it works or not.

You don't need a PR letter from your employer, ask HR for a reference letter containing
the information mentioned in the document checklist.
When I talked to HR at my company I didn't even mention this letter was for immigration
purposes, I printed the checklist and showed them what I need in the letter.

Why is your employer not willing to write such letter, do you know?

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
I did ask the HR but they were not willing to release any document. The company is just skeptical about people applying for PR and they don't release any document that contains the roles and responsibilities. Basically, they don't want the employees to apply for PR. This is the only template they will give :

This is to certify that (Employee Name) (EMP #) is employed with ABC on a full time basis since (MM/DD/YYYY).

(He/She) is deputed to ABC CANADA effective (MM/DD/YYYY), designated as (mention current Designation in (Location), (State). (His/Her) gross salary is $ (Annual Salary Figure) per year.

(Employee Name) is currently residing in the following address, as per our records: ADDRESS

This authorized certificate is being issued to (Employee Name) for the purpose of VISA Application. All expenses related to this travel will be borne by the employee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any further information is required.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sg33 said:
I did ask the HR but they were not willing to release any document. The company is just skeptical about people applying for PR and they don't release any document that contains the roles and responsibilities. Basically, they don't want the employees to apply for PR. This is the only template they will give :

This is to certify that (Employee Name) (EMP #) is employed with ABC on a full time basis since (MM/DD/YYYY).

(He/She) is deputed to ABC CANADA effective (MM/DD/YYYY), designated as (mention current Designation in (Location), (State). (His/Her) gross salary is $ (Annual Salary Figure) per year.

(Employee Name) is currently residing in the following address, as per our records: ADDRESS

This authorized certificate is being issued to (Employee Name) for the purpose of VISA Application. All expenses related to this travel will be borne by the employee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any further information is required.
Sounds like your on ICT? If so, can you ask a supervisor or foreman for a reference letter?

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
My supervisor can give it to me but i won't be able to produce it on the company's letter head(the letter head is available only with the HR)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sg33 said:
My supervisor can give it to me but i won't be able to produce it on the company's letter head(the letter head is available only with the HR)
If you can't get a letter from HR get one from supervisor and send along with letter
explaining that HR doesn't issue the required letter.

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
I got the letter from my supervisor. I am planning to write the following letter to CIC :

Subject: Regarding the Employment Letter

Dear Sir/Madam,
With respect to Item#10 in the Document Checklist (IMM5610E), I will not be able to provide you with the letter of reference from my employer on a company letterhead because they do not issue it.

But, as a proof of my employment and my roles and responsibilities I have attached the following:
1) Mail from HR indicating that the company doesn't issue the letter for Permanent Residency Application.
2) A letter containing my roles and responsibilities and other information from my current supervisor.
3) A letter from the Client containing my roles and responsibilities.
4) Secondment letter for the current position in Canada.
5) Work Authorization Document.
6) Canada Salary Change Letters.
7) Pay Stubs for my entire duration of stay in Canada.
8) Letter of Joining the Company.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you need any other information.