+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doubt regarding years of experience + details required to prove the same.

Johnnextdoor

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Hi all,
I will try to be as consize as possible to save every one the time of reading. I am an engineer officer in the profession of Merchant Navy who is currently planning to apply for a Canada PR and have the following queries.
1. I have been employed in a shipping company since 2015 and have sailed for 3 contracts so far with a total sailing experience of 26 months' propelling time. My question is, what should I show in the years of experience? 26 months ( i.e. my sea time) OR 4 years (i.e. the time since I'm employed in the company. Either ways, I can produce a letter from my company stating my years of employment and my contract dates and hours of work per week. ( As it should be included in the reference letter)
2. There is a minute chance that I would not be present (i.e. I would be sailing on duty) when my ITA or COPR arrives. I can have my documents submitted online by a family member for the former BUT there is no way to have my passport submitted within 30 days when I'm away as it is a necessary document required to be kept in the Mater's custody on board. So, is there any way I could have it postponed or have my situation explained to an official if such a situation occurs?
3. I see many people these days applying for their Canada PR through consultancy services and agents. Is it such a hard task or is it the fear of getting their application rejected? There are innumerous forum, Vlogs, etc that provide comprehensive guidance. Is it very likely to have one's application rejected if done by self or something? It's just that it has got me intrigued.
Sorry if this was too elaborate. I just can't be too consize and Quora's word count has never permitted me to acquire any answers so this forum is my only hope.
Pls do shed some light ppl.
TIA

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Hi all,
I will try to be as consize as possible to save every one the time of reading. I am an engineer officer in the profession of Merchant Navy who is currently planning to apply for a Canada PR and have the following queries.
1. I have been employed in a shipping company since 2015 and have sailed for 3 contracts so far with a total sailing experience of 26 months' propelling time. My question is, what should I show in the years of experience? 26 months ( i.e. my sea time) OR 4 years (i.e. the time since I'm employed in the company. Either ways, I can produce a letter from my company stating my years of employment and my contract dates and hours of work per week. ( As it should be included in the reference letter)
2. There is a minute chance that I would not be present (i.e. I would be sailing on duty) when my ITA or COPR arrives. I can have my documents submitted online by a family member for the former BUT there is no way to have my passport submitted within 30 days when I'm away as it is a necessary document required to be kept in the Mater's custody on board. So, is there any way I could have it postponed or have my situation explained to an official if such a situation occurs?
3. I see many people these days applying for their Canada PR through consultancy services and agents. Is it such a hard task or is it the fear of getting their application rejected? There are innumerous forum, Vlogs, etc that provide comprehensive guidance. Is it very likely to have one's application rejected if done by self or something? It's just that it has got me intrigued.
Sorry if this was too elaborate. I just can't be too consize and Quora's word count has never permitted me to acquire any answers so this forum is my only hope.
Pls do shed some light ppl.
TIA
1. your time since you are employed not the sailing time
2. May be there could be an alternative which the officer might suggest at the time when you receive your ppr mail. You can write to them regarding your inability to submit your passport ( which is a necessity to get the visa stamped) and the alternative you can have
3. you can file you application yourself. In this forum you will find answers for all of your queries and most of them in this forum might have done it on their own

Reactions: Johnnextdoor

Johnnextdoor

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
2. May be there could be an alternative which the officer might suggest at the time when you receive your ppr mail. You can write to them regarding your inability to submit your passport ( which is a necessity to get the visa stamped) and the alternative you can have
3. you can file you application yourself. In this forum you will find answers for all of your queries and most of them in this forum might have done it on their own
Thanks so much Jackdawn,
1.Many people have suggested the same to me about the years of experience, and I might just go by the time since I've been employed itself.
2. Even I guessed that I would have to contact IRCC and have my query discussed with them before having this process started.
Thanks so much for the prompt response. Much appreciated

Johnnextdoor

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Thanks jackdawn