+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Don't travel with your home country passport

DigitalPrince

Feb 8, 2017
I will try my part to explain legal fact in simple language. You do not have to take it but I will advise that you keep an open mind.

I know some folks enjoy dangerous adventures, but many more wants to tread carefully. In any case here is my take:

First:

It is not difficult to get Refugee Travel Document.

Secondly;
You need to understand what it means to be a refugee and what your national passport implies. I will try to share brief info with willing persons:
Passport is a document of Authority / Guaranty / Request from Issuing country to destination Country to offer your travel privileges in the name of the issuing country. The question then is, Why would your say your country has failed to protect you (refugee claim) AND then turn around to travel under the protection for that country.

Thirdly;

Go get travel document it is not expensive. Getting away with an offence does not make it right. Do not be a scapegoat. If you are a refugee, do not pretend that you are not.

Fourly;

Read and study with an open mind. It is in your best interest. One Love.

I see a lot of confusion on home country passport rules (and sometimes stubborn) from people that already being accepted as refugees or already gained PR but not yet a Canadian citizen. Even though some people said "Oh, I used my passport but not to my home country and nothing happened so far."

So here's something that CIC actually post advising refugees NOT to use their home country passport:

Again:

If they need to travel, they should use a refugee travel document instead of a passport from their country of nationality.

But then again, it is YOUR CHOICE since it is your life and own free decision. YOU DON'T WANT TO MESSING AROUND WITH THE IMMIGRATION LAW. This forum is here to help and share each of our own experiences ;D 8)

Reactions: Kan786 and vensak

DigitalPrince

Feb 8, 2017
You are absolutely right !! My problem is that I have my PR as a protected person . It’s been 10 years I am in Canada and haven’t travelled so far . Haven’t seen my family for about the same time frame . The problem is I renewed my passport from home country :( haven’t used that passport neither travelled on it .
Do Not Use IT. Go get travel document.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly, unlike a national ID or PR card your passport is not just a mean to prove your identity. Your passport is a document stating that you are protected by country that has issued that passport.

That is how historically passports came to life (they were originally safe passage documents / letters stating the status of that traveler and that he has an important figure behind to protect him (be it a local nobility a king a pope or an emperor). So if you messed up with that person you messed up with those powerful people as well.

One more comments to those that became Canadian citizens.
Yes you will not loose your citizenship just because you travel back to your country anymore (unless you were found guilty of terrorism and you have dual or multiple citizenship).
However if you still have citizenship of that country as well, despite being also Canadian citizen, you might be at risk if somethings happens to you there.

Yes Canada has rights to rescue you as being their national, but same right has your country of origin. So it might be much harder to do anything for you if you ended up arrested.
This is a very difficult diplomatic ground, so think about it carefully.