+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Don't know what category of visa fits!

jmsmith

Mar 18, 2020
I'm looking for any information on how to move to Canada as retired U.S military. If you don't fit any of the work visa categories even for an open work visa (and don't need to work or go back to school) then you cant come other than on a visitors visa 6 months at a time. Is there any path that fits to live in Canada an begin a PR process? Any leads are appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm looking for any information on how to move to Canada as retired U.S military. If you don't fit any of the work visa categories even for an open work visa (and don't need to work or go back to school) then you cant come other than on a visitors visa 6 months at a time. Is there any path that fits to live in Canada an begin a PR process? Any leads are appreciated. Thanks!
There is no path to PR for you. Canada has no retirement immigration class. If you had a child in Canada who was a citizen or a PR, they might be able to sponsor you. However I'm assuming you don't given this wasn't mentioned. You will have to be satisfied with visiting Canada as a tourist.

You do not meet any of the criteria for an open work permit. There are only issued in very specific circumstances.

jmsmith

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you for your reply. This is didappointing as I'm only 35 and would be contributing to the economy with my pension.
I would possibly attempt to come with a work Visa and get some kind of job in Canada but I don't see a class where military work experience fits.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. This is didappointing as I'm only 35 and would be contributing to the economy with my pension.
I would possibly attempt to come with a work Visa and get some kind of job in Canada but I don't see a class where military work experience fits.
If you are only 35, then there's a chance you can qualify for PR through one of Canada's economic immigration streams based on your education, work experience, etc. There is no specific immigration category either for military workers or for Americans.

I would recommend that you start by researching the Express Entry program. This is a points based program, so you'll need to calculate how many points you have under the program. Right now you need to have in the range of 470+ to be selected out of the applicant pool. You can find out more about the EE program through the link below. Note that to apply, you will need to have your education officially assessed and also take a language test.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Regardless, you need to spend more time researching if you are serious about coming here. There's really no alternative to that apart from hiring a lawyer to do this work for you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To answer the work permit question, you need to start by getting a job offer from an employer in Canada (you don't qualify for an open work permit). If you can get a job offer, the next step would be for your employer to obtain an approved LMIA (unless your job falls under NAFTA). If the LMIA is approved (or if you fall under NAFTA), you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Note that the LMIA process is long (4-6 months) and expensive for the employer. To be approved, they are required to adverise the job and prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Generally speaking it's hard to find employers willing to go through this process.

So first step if you want to go the work permit route is to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada.

Last edited:

jmsmith

Mar 18, 2020
I thought you could apply for express entry without a job offer (although I know having one would add points). Im just not sure a military career would be accepted under skilled labour.