Jun 17, 2010
Santo Domingo
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
I'm a Canadian citizen and I want to sponsor my Dominican boyfriend (we will get married in Canada). We're not worried about the sponsorship because we have lots of proof of our genuine relationship.
But is it hard to get a visa extension when your applying for sponsorship?
And to get a TRV will having a job convince the immigration officer?
We got rejected once and they said he didn't have enough funds, they didn't think he would leave, and his travel history (he has his American visa and has been to NY ???)
Also he has opened a bank account and his family gave his a lot of money for it.
Also we are putting his stay for 15 days, will he only get issued a visa for 15 days?

Thanks !

I

iarblue

Its not so much as to whats in his bank account there just has to be enough to support him during his stay,and im not sure how they judge this ($1000.00 a month?).Its the fac he has to prove he has enough in his home country that will bring him back their.Things he can not leave, a job, property,a home,family,studies.
And if you say he is staying 15 days they will likely issue a visa for 15 days,he will need a return ticket,and if he does get here on a visa and you apply right away you can put the application to extend his stay with the app for sponsorship.It just has to be timed.You have to get married do all the paperwork and get the app in to Mississauga in the 15 days if thats all they give him,it will be tight.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iarblue is right about proving ties to the home country are sufficient to convince them that he will go back home after the visit. That's what they are basing their decision for the visa application on as well as the funds to be able to support himself while here. Are you applying for a multiple entry or single entry visa? If they give him a single entry visa, they will put an expiry date on it when it must be used by (meaning he must enter Canada by that date). Upon entry into Canada, CBSA officer will look up the notes on the visa and potentially put a time limit on the amount of time he is allowed to stay. You notice I am using the words "may" and "potentially" because you won't know until or if they approve a TRV and he enters Canada. And I would HIGHLY recommend the return ticket because you don't want CBSA to turn him around and send him home because THEY don't believe he will leave.

However, if he was only allowed to stay for 15 days and you did not apply to extend it, you still don't need to have the application submitted to Mississauga within those 15 days. You just need to get married within that time frame. I think iarblue meant that to apply for an extension, it would be good to show proof of your application for spousal sponsorship to support the extension application. Very doubtful you could do it because you would not have the marriage certificate by that time in most provinces.

Good luck with the TRV application. Make sure it is thorough and convincing.

zabrinaw

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Santo Domingo
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
rjessome said:
iarblue is right about proving ties to the home country are sufficient to convince them that he will go back home after the visit. That's what they are basing their decision for the visa application on as well as the funds to be able to support himself while here. Are you applying for a multiple entry or single entry visa? If they give him a single entry visa, they will put an expiry date on it when it must be used by (meaning he must enter Canada by that date). Upon entry into Canada, CBSA officer will look up the notes on the visa and potentially put a time limit on the amount of time he is allowed to stay. You notice I am using the words "may" and "potentially" because you won't know until or if they approve a TRV and he enters Canada. And I would HIGHLY recommend the return ticket because you don't want CBSA to turn him around and send him home because THEY don't believe he will leave.

However, if he was only allowed to stay for 15 days and you did not apply to extend it, you still don't need to have the application submitted to Mississauga within those 15 days. You just need to get married within that time frame. I think iarblue meant that to apply for an extension, it would be good to show proof of your application for spousal sponsorship to support the extension application. Very doubtful you could do it because you would not have the marriage certificate by that time in most provinces.

Good luck with the TRV application. Make sure it is thorough and convincing.
We got one of his moms friend to say that he got a job and that he started the job like a week after we applied. Will that be enough "ties" to the country, and also the guy is saying that my boyfriend has a "good job".
And will the rejected visa affect the sponsorship?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The visa office may want proof that this job actually exists. They don't always check closely, though.
Prior visa refusals can affect a PR sponsorship. A person who has applied for several TRVs, and been refused, and who then gets married to a Canadian and applies for a PR visa, can look like he/she is just trying to enter Canada by any means possible. Even worse if they have visitor visa refusals or overstays from other Western countries.
If your boyfriend did not overstay his American visa, it will have no effect on his PR application.
The two Canadian TRV attempts have both been to visit you. If he is refused this one, and you marry in his country and submit a PR application, just be sure to explain the circumstances of these TRV refusals fully. Keep a copy of the application form, keep a copy of the refusal letter, and include them with the PR application as proof he was trying to visit you, not just trying to get into Canada.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zabrinaw said:
We got one of his moms friend to say that he got a job and that he started the job like a week after we applied. Will that be enough "ties" to the country, and also the guy is saying that my boyfriend has a "good job".
And will the rejected visa affect the sponsorship?
Do you really want to risk that if the job is not real? What if they find out? Then he will be guilty of "misrepresentation" and will be barred from entering Canada for 2 years. That kind of rejection will DEFINITELY affect the sponsorship because he would have lost credibility and they will scrutinize it to the nth degree. If he is rejected with an honest application to visit, you can use that to your advantage in the application for PR saying you are trying to be together.

I know you want to be together but don't risk you whole future like this. Do it the right way.

zabrinaw

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Santo Domingo
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2010
rjessome said:
Do you really want to risk that if the job is not real? What if they find out? Then he will be guilty of "misrepresentation" and will be barred from entering Canada for 2 years. That kind of rejection will DEFINITELY affect the sponsorship because he would have lost credibility and they will scrutinize it to the nth degree. If he is rejected with an honest application to visit, you can use that to your advantage in the application for PR saying you are trying to be together.

I know you want to be together but don't risk you whole future like this. Do it the right way.
I was thinking that I'm kind of worried about it getting messed up, however the guy that's saying his has a job is the owner of the company and he's writing my boyfriend a letter/permission to give to the embassy. I don't see how they could find out, plus they don't take time to look at anything here when we applied last time we got the refusal the same day (and the others that got it got the interview)