+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Domestic violence - TRP

nom87

Dec 6, 2019
Hello all,

My ex partner in law was looking into the sponsorship PR application for me in August 2019. in September 2019, I called 911 because his behaviour escalated. He was charged with assault and utter threat of death. And he violated his conditions in Oct 2019. I have copy of emails back and forth with the lawyer about the not yeT submitted sponsorship case and copy of his first and second bail conditions. I also have text messages from my ex showing obvious abuse and a letter from my counseller which will be submit to court supporting my domestic violence claim. My PGWP has expired in Aug 2019, I have applied for an extension before the expiration date. After our separation in Sept, I have entered the EE pool, got my ITA and the AOR in Dec 2019. My lawyer has update my work permit extension application with the AOR but it is no guarantee that it would be accepted. I might get denied and need to stop working. On Dec 18 I have my family court case. Without work, it would be hard to support myself, my baby and all these legal fees. My ex is the one getting Canada Child Support. I don’t know how long this family court would be dragging for. I understand that I could apply for a visitor visa but I can’t work in that case. Am I eligible for the TRP? Do I need to wait for until I get the refusal letter from immigration to apply for TRP. Please advice

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
For clarification how did you apply to extend your PGWP given a PGWP cannot be extended unless was issued short due to a passport expiry date. So my understanding and others can comment/correct me but possibly even working during an invalid extension request could be a whole different question.

Others can comment/correct me but as I understand it a TRP is generally only issued for someone who has been deemed inadmissable previously to Canada so who advised a TRP was the option ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5554-applying-remain-canada-temporary-resident-permit-holder.html

Last edited: