+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Domestic Assault charges for international student?

youngdolphin

Oct 2, 2022
It's a story between me and my girlfriend of 5 years. We have lived in Canada together for 1.5 years. We never had a bad or abusive relationship and I have never raised my hands on her. But one night she was annoying me with a flashlight in my eyes when I was trying to sleep so I tried pushing her arm away, but she ended up falling off the bed. The bed is very low but she told me she couldn't move her arm anymore and wouldn't get up. I told her I was going to take her to the hospital but she wanted me to call 911 so I did. They asked me what happened and I told them I pushed her off the bed and she says she can't move her arm. The ambulance came so did the police. She was taken away to the hospital and the police stayed with me at home, questioning me. I told them I would never hurt her and it was an accident but they ended up pressing domestic assault charges on me and also put me in cuffs but let me go later. I also have a restraining order from my girlfriend. She pleaded the police not to do anything to me as it wasn't my fault but they didn't listen. The hospital report says it was a sprain and to put ice on it. I have hired a lawyer and he assured me this was not serious and it should be dropped but I am very worried about the criminal charge on my name. I have never gotten in trouble with the law. Does this affect my stay here as an international student? I have 1 year of my study permit remaining. I am so lost, I can't even put it in words.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's a story between me and my girlfriend of 5 years. We have lived in Canada together for 1.5 years. We never had a bad or abusive relationship and I have never raised my hands on her. But one night she was annoying me with a flashlight in my eyes when I was trying to sleep so I tried pushing her arm away, but she ended up falling off the bed. The bed is very low but she told me she couldn't move her arm anymore and wouldn't get up. I told her I was going to take her to the hospital but she wanted me to call 911 so I did. They asked me what happened and I told them I pushed her off the bed and she says she can't move her arm. The ambulance came so did the police. She was taken away to the hospital and the police stayed with me at home, questioning me. I told them I would never hurt her and it was an accident but they ended up pressing domestic assault charges on me and also put me in cuffs but let me go later. I also have a restraining order from my girlfriend. She pleaded the police not to do anything to me as it wasn't my fault but they didn't listen. The hospital report says it was a sprain and to put ice on it. I have hired a lawyer and he assured me this was not serious and it should be dropped but I am very worried about the criminal charge on my name. I have never gotten in trouble with the law. Does this affect my stay here as an international student? I have 1 year of my study permit remaining. I am so lost, I can't even put it in words.
The outcome of the case does have implications on your ability to remain in Canada past your study permit so it is very important that you hire a lawyer and that they are familiar with the immigration implications of any conviction, plea deal, etc. Given your partner’s desire not to file charges and this being your first offence and no serious injuries there is a good chance charges may be dropped. Would make sure you don’t get Into any more trouble, respect the restraining order, etc. This is really an issue for you and your lawyer not a forum.

powerisnow

Apr 18, 2023
Hi youngdolphin,

I have got charged on similar lines. Could you please tell me whats the outcome of the case you faced.