+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dog migration

Kush_udak

Apr 2, 2018
I am planning to study in calgary,Canada for 2 years and would like to take my labrador dog with me.
Is it possible,if yes what is the procedure

Snifflepucker

Sep 8, 2022
"Of the documents, you will need to have:
An international veterinary passport
A rabies vaccination certificate
A real rabies antibody serology test.
It's also worth taking a toy on board to keep the dog from getting bored and howling. I would suggest https://www.doggietoys.deals/product/large-cotton-rope-ball-toy/ Large Cotton Rope Ball Toy. You can play on board in a corner or a seat you have a ticket for. In Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) oversees the importation of animals. If an animal arriving in Canada does not meet import requirements, the CFIA will inspect it and usually order the animal removed from Canada."

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
"Of the documents, you will need to have:
An international veterinary passport
A rabies vaccination certificate
A real rabies antibody serology test.
It's also worth taking a toy on board to keep the dog from getting bored and howling. I would suggest https://www.doggietoys.deals/product/large-cotton-rope-ball-toy/ Large Cotton Rope Ball Toy. You can play on board in a corner or a seat you have a ticket for. In Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) oversees the importation of animals. If an animal arriving in Canada does not meet import requirements, the CFIA will inspect it and usually order the animal removed from Canada."
Actually, the requirements from the Canadian Government differ depending on the country of origin of the dog. We are also planning to travel with our dog but because of his size, he cannot travel in the cabin with us. We have to show a rabies vaccination certificate and that's it. The Veterinary passport is a requirement in our home country to be able to take him out of the country.

So, in short, be diligent, speak with the airline, with your local authorities and with your vet. Most vets have experience with this, and they should be able to guide you too.

Reactions: YVR123

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I was traveling with a small 7 lb dog. I was asked for a bunch of documents when leaving my home country (Honduras), but in Canada all they asked for was the rabies vaccination certificate. They also told me there was a fee that I had to pay, but they would "let me go this time". No idea why was that, but two months later my sister traveled with her small dog and wasn't charged either. I landed at Toronto Pearson airport.

Reactions: Geet7

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Is anyone aware of the new restrictions set by the government of Canada to travel with dogs from certain "high-risk" countries? I am planning to travel to Honduras in a few months and bring with me a dog I'm adopting, but I'm not sure what are the restrictions with this new rule.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: andrews17

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I traveled a month ago from Chile and the officer barely saw my documents and let me go. Not sure about the new restrictions. I came prepared with my dog's vaccination certificate, his veterinary notes and everything. I had no problem at all.

Reactions: andrews17

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I traveled a month ago from Chile and the officer barely saw my documents and let me go. Not sure about the new restrictions. I came prepared with my dog's vaccination certificate, his veterinary notes and everything. I had no problem at all.
See the link I posted above. The change was for dogs classified as commercial.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I traveled with a dog too back in August 2021 and had no issues at all.

There's a section that says:

If you are bringing a dog to Canada to give to someone else, to foster, to adopt out, to breed, or for other commercial purposes, change your selection from "personal" to "commercial" to get the correct import requirements.
This is my situation: my parents have two small dogs that they can't take care of anymore. So I want to bring both dogs with me to Canada. They've been in the family for a long time, I have lots of pictures with them so it wouldn't be hard to prove they're personal and not commercial dogs.

Now the thing is that airlines usually allow only one pet per traveler, which means I can't bring both of them with me on one single trip. Both my parents have visitor visas, so I was thinking that one of them could travel with me so we can bring both dogs. But I'm not sure if doing this would be considered as a commercial dog as either of my parents who is transporting the other dog would be "giving it to someone else", which is me. The dogs would be coming from Honduras, so they would be banned as commercial dogs.

I'm also not sure if my parents can come to Canada as visitors with dogs coming from a banned country.

I'm not sure if that's how it works.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I traveled with a dog too back in August 2021 and had no issues at all.

There's a section that says:

This is my situation: my parents have two small dogs that they can't take care of anymore. So I want to bring both dogs with me to Canada. They've been in the family for a long time, I have lots of pictures with them so it wouldn't be hard to prove they're personal and not commercial dogs.

Now the thing is that airlines usually allow only one pet per traveler, which means I can't bring both of them with me on one single trip. Both my parents have visitor visas, so I was thinking that one of them could travel with me so we can bring both dogs. But I'm not sure if doing this would be considered as a commercial dog as either of my parents who is transporting the other dog would be "giving it to someone else", which is me. The dogs would be coming from Honduras, so they would be banned as commercial dogs.

I'm also not sure if my parents can come to Canada as visitors with dogs coming from a banned country.

I'm not sure if that's how it works.
You mean August 2022, right?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I was very confused about this subject, so I decided to call Canadian Food Inspection Agency and ask. A visitor can bring a dog from anywhere to Canada as long as it's a personal dog and not for commercial purposes. A rabies vaccine and a veterinarian certificate is required.